Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » So What's The Verdict?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So What's The Verdict?
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-18-2004 11:09 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do you guys think about HL2? I'm still on Chapter 1 right now, I just got to the boat mission and so far I like it but I'm definetely not "ga ga" over it. The models look excellent, no question to that. Not to mention the look on their faces, very life like. However, as for the environment (with the exception of the cityscape) it looks way too familiar to the original Half Life. I almost forget which game I'm playing. It looks as if they put amazing effort into the models and ditched the detail of the environment. Probably to save the user from thrashing, but at points it just looks too bland.

As for the physics/gravity.. They did some really cool stuff, but it's way from perfect. I've been having a tendency to be caught in between objects without being able to jump or grab it. In some of the tunnels I'm guessing it's sluge on the floor and it feels very awkward when you walk on it. You kind glide through it at a really slow pace, and it inhibits your jumping. I found it to be extremely annoying. Also the boat's controls suck so I would imagine the buggy being the same way. Also, if I throw a TV at someone, I expect them to fall and not get up. Instead it bounces off?

Gameplay so far is tight. The AI is pretty crafty. I have to actually use tactics instead of running in guns blazing. The puzzles I encounted so far were bad either.
I'm sure it'll only prove more challenging as I progress.

One major gripe, what the hell is with the long loading time to just load the game. I'm almost waiting for 4 mintues between the Steam authentication and the loading screen before the main menu. C'mon, I'm not playing from the CD-ROM. Doom at least started quick and made you wait in misery when the map loads. HL2 makes you wait for both. Maybe they should of ditched the idea of rendering the city and models in the main menu. I'll have to find an option to disable that. It was cool the first time, now it's annoying.

Well, those are my 2 cents. What about you guys?

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 11-18-2004 11:46 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what to think about it. I'll tell you when it gets here tomorrow!
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 11-18-2004 11:57 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No spoilers plz
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 11-19-2004 12:22 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mynameisxanthan:
No spoilers plz

OMG GORDON FREEMAN SAVES THE DAY /SPOILER

or something. maybe he dies in the end.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 11-19-2004 12:30 AM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
OMG GORDON FREEMAN SAVES THE DAY /SPOILER

or something. maybe he dies in the end.

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 11-19-2004 01:58 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in actuality..

before powell resigns, he "gathers intelligence" of the aliens making wmd and we bomb their home planet to smitherines. bush then flips off the camera and releases a virus to kill all the aliens.

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-19-2004 02:14 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I watched a buddy of mine play it, and I think the environments are pretty tricked out and detailed. And the physics are the best bar-none. As far from perfect as it may be, no other game comes even this close. If things were too realistic, it wouldn't be fun.

I flipped my hydrofoil *gets slaughtered*

[ 11-19-2004: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 11-19-2004 09:13 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a little further in the game and trust me when I say you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

The load times are irritating though, especially on the boat levels where it seems you're loading every 20 seconds for parts of it.

Seriously though, why do games even have to load past the initial startup anymore? WoW doesn't... you wouldn't think that a streaming "load as you move" algorithm would be too hard to implement...

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 11-19-2004 09:30 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Serengeti:
Seriously though, why do games even have to load past the initial startup anymore? WoW doesn't... you wouldn't think that a streaming "load as you move" algorithm would be too hard to implement...

You have no idea how hard game programming is. Just because one game does it doesn't mean it's easy and can be done for every game. But I do agree about the long load times. They are irritating and actually somewhat long.

[ 11-19-2004: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 11-19-2004 10:34 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not buying HL2 until:

1. I get done with MOHPA

2. Finish upgrading my box to run it properly. Hell, MOHPA is gagging it. I shudder to think what HL2 will do ...

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 11-19-2004 11:43 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flux:
You have no idea how hard game programming is. Just because one game does it doesn't mean it's easy and can be done for every game. But I do agree about the long load times. They are irritating and actually somewhat long.

You're right, I don't know how hard it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that removing or at least greatly reducing load times should be a priority in modern game develoment. The negative effect on overall immersion cause by long loads really, um, sucks.

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-19-2004 07:47 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not saying it's easy to do, but c'mon. Doom was pretty damn intensive and it didn't take nearly as long to load levels as it does in HL2. Plus, you got to wait mad long just for the game to friggen load. I could squeeze out a couple of soldiers with that wait.
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 11-21-2004 04:01 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I agree, the load time is bad...

Now about the loading while you play the game... think what it would do for gameplay... video lag or non smooth frame rates. I think WoW gets around this because their textures aren't nearly as complex/detailed and as large as HL2.

Now, if the game capped itself at 40 FPS and used the additional FPS once over a potential 50, used to load the next part of the game... it would probably work out and be unnoticable by the user.

I bet it could be done with some good programming

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-24-2004 12:30 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I made my decision...

Doom3 is by far technically better. It looks a hell of a lot better and runs a hell of a lot better than HL2. Of course there are differences in settings between the two on my machine (HL2 can handle a little more high detail settings than D3) but D3 still is the clear winner (technically).

Now, when I finally stopped being a pussy and played through Doom3, I was immersed. I got sucked into the gameplay and enjoyed it til the end with no regrets (well one, the usual one with id: the story line [or lack of]). So far with HL2, I'm definetely enjoying the story-line. No complaints against the gameplay either (except for the air boat, I didn't really care for it -- especially with all the loading). There can't be a final verdict on that until I finish it though.

Technically, Doom3 is definetely the champ. It leaped many more bounds than HL2 (IMO of course, I'm sure other peoples opinions differ depending on their preferences). The lighting is top noch, the models looks sweet and smooth movement. The maps were well designed. And although the textures themselves were low res, all the bump mapping and specular mapping, etc just brought them to life.

HL2 looks very dull. You'll see whole hallways with the same grey texture without even a crack in the wall or a hole to just give it some character. Just the occasional poster on the wall. The lighting is archaic. Sure you got a nice open environments, but everything looks bland. Many ppl say D3 can't render and environment like that but they'll see when Quake4 comes out.

Share opinions!

LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 11-24-2004 12:54 PM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I get some new hardware, I'll try them both out. I bought Doom3 thinking my system would handle it...I was wrong. I only played the first few levels, and haven't touched it since. Idumbed it WAY down to try and play, but still far too choppy to enjoy. I did, however, crank the settings up just to look at it in all its glory, and it looks jaw-dropping. Hopefully, just a video card and maybe some RAM will do it. (P4 3.00; 512; FX5200)
Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-24-2004 01:19 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You should be able to run it just fine with that hardware. Additional RAM will help you out greatly, but that video card should be able to handle default settings at 800x600. I have a similiar card to that (Radeon 9600XT) and I get it to run pretty well..

You didn't mention what's running your sound which could also be a significant bottleneck. Try turning down sound settings to see if that helps the choppiness. Other than that, I would just start with a RAM upgrade. Then afterwards determine if you need a new video card (but then again, if you could afford it, who wouldn't want a new video card).

Make sure to defrag your HD too. I saw a significant improvement in the performance of HL2 and D3 when I defragged my HD and reorganized my page file.

LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 11-24-2004 03:20 PM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought it would run fine, which is why I bought it. I'll try the sound trick, though...I hadn't really thought of that.

I will definetly upgrade RAM...it's just too easy and affordable now not to get a gig of it.

And of course, you can never go wrong with a new video card

Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com