Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Whats the coolest thing you've ever done?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats the coolest thing you've ever done?
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2004 04:48 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Getting married and having kids does not count.

Have you saved anyones life? Been somewhere insanely cool? Changed the course of history?

Tell us your best true story.

With all the things I've done I still believe the coolest was a summer of commercial salmon fishing in Alaska.

The second coolest was meeting you guys :-)

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 10-03-2004 07:30 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... hard to say. I've been in Rome when it snowed for the first time in 19 years and watched the snow fall through the pantheon.

I also saved a kid's life once.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 10-03-2004 07:39 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The coolest was scuba diving in the Bahamas. Coolest shit I've ever seen, and its such a cool sensation.

--------------------

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2004 09:01 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't consider this the coolest thing I've ever done but it was cool. Bought some art off ebay from a local dealer. The artist was Darren Haley who is Calgary's version of Robert Bateman. Haley really does incredible work for a relative unknown. Anyways, since the dealer was local I saved on shipping and the wife and dropped by one Saturday to pay for it and arrange framing. There was another guy behind the counter and the owner said "oh by the way, have you ever met Darren"? Yep, it was the same guy that did the stuff we were buying. Got to bullshit with him awhile and shake his hand, etc. It was pretty cool.
Here's a link to some of his work. Most of his Ltd editions are small numbers like 195 or less (unlike Bateman's 20,000). So far we have an AP of The Sunning Rock and numbered copies of Alberta Bounty, and Hugs n' Kisses. You really have to see his work in real life to fully appreciate his talent.

[ 10-03-2004: Message edited by: dAm ]

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2004 10:35 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jumped the grand canyon on a Yamaha 60cc Trail bike.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 01:06 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
prevented a drive-by.

I hate Santa Ana.

It happened on July 4, Y2K. I was hanging out with several of my friends that night doing what just about everyone in the civilized world was doing: lighting off low-grade explosives, both storebought and improvised, some legal, most not. Anyway, we ran out a little after midnight but we really had nowhere else to go, so we were just kicking back outside his place. Some young hispanic guy came by and told us his name, his crew, and that he didn't want to die that night. I didn't know what he was talking and didn't know how to respond but even I didn't really have the time to say much of anything before we saw the approaching car as it slowed down to about walking speed and the driver turned off his headlights. As he made a pass with just his marker lights on, my heart sunk. I wanted to get the hell out of there. I saw about 5 or 6 asian kids in the car, all trying to look as menacing as they could. I was spooked. My instinct was to run. I told my friends to get ready to bolt back to the house and get behind anything if they saw anyone raising a weapon in the car. The street was a cul de sac and I think the gang in the car knew that. They made their first pass to state their intentions and then proceeded to the end of the street to turn around. After they passed by the first time, I told everyone to move closer to the house (there were several cars out front to get behind, if need be, but there was no way we were bringing the guy inside.) So they came back and again had their just their parking lights on. I didn't see any weapons and we all stared them down as they passed. We stuck around for maybe 20 minutes longer, long enough for the hispanic kid to feel safe enough to continue on his way. Granted, I didn't really do much. I was just there at the right time. To this day, I'm sure that if we hadn't been there, he would have been dead.

The more interesting thing that I've come to realize is the nature of the fear I felt. It was pure dread. I wanted to get out of there and fast. I'm not one to be chased away, but as I said, my instinct was to run. It was starkly different from the time I actually did have bullets flying at me -- that was at a shithole called Lytle Creek near the Cajon Pass where a lot of the LA/Riverside/OC thugs and hicks like to go shooting. It once was a nice, regulated range. But that was well before the state troopers stopped patrolling. I like to think it was a simple mishap, that some dipshit was shooting through a bush without realizing that they were firing onto our target area, and on a trip out to replenish some targets, I had ricochets bouncing off rocks no more than 10 feet from me. That fear was entirely different. I would even called fear. I was pissed more than anything. I found myself thinking about both of those events recently, and I thought it was interesting the way each affected my mindset. Facing insurmountable adds against the gangbangers, I found myself fighting my own fear. But when the bullets were actually flying, and it was longer a question of whether my life was truly at risk, I wanted nothing more than to slip around the line and silence the threat. I suppose my father's discretion on that day was the better part of valor. We simply left, never to return to that particular part of the basin. (and to this day, I have only shot where there's line enforcement. It's not cheap, but then niether is my life)

[ 10-04-2004: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 01:40 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't call mine cool either. But I did CPR on a guy. I didn't save his life, but I was there, and I did what I had to do.

Other than that, maybe stopping a drunken fool from hitting his equally drunken wife. Oddly, this was in the middle of the street, in broad daylight.

[edit]

Oh, and Cac. . . . HOAX!!

[ 10-04-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JoJo
Sarge
Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 01:56 AM     Profile for JoJo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
Jumped the grand canyon on a Yamaha 60cc Trail bike.

It's better the second time.

--------------------

Hey, Smeg head, Hail CellClones!

Posts: 2510 | From: Space Command | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 02:20 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I live for the big picture, not one moment. I don't think anything that I have ever done has been particularly the 'coolest' thing I've ever done.
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 02:21 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i had a threesome w/ 2 girls last year

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-04-2004 04:02 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I stripped for a group of 12 year old girls. No not last week, back in 1971.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 10-04-2004 05:27 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A bowl of ice cream.

My penis was cold.

hi.

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 10-04-2004 07:14 PM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Telling that kid in Cac's sig that if he rocked real hard on the skins he would get laid.

--------------------

(_*_)

Posts: 163 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 10-05-2004 09:19 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think many of you know the story of my car being introduced to a pre-deceased Indian on the highway
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 10-05-2004 02:41 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know the story, snag. Do tell!
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 10-05-2004 02:43 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh and lol @ Max.

Most of the cool things I have done were illegal in some fashion so I really cannot go into details what with all the homeland security patriot act stuff about nowadays.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 10-07-2004 12:48 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it's only half as good as HAMMER's christmas story, I'll be happy.

can't ever forget that one...

*plop*

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-07-2004 09:12 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, the headmobile?

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com