next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » digital camera advice

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: digital camera advice
RoGuEBoB
Sarge
Member # 32

Rate Member

posted 10-01-2004 02:48 PM     Profile for RoGuEBoB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one of the women that my dad works told him that she wanted to sell her digital camera - it's a nikon coolpix 990. i know the pixel count is a little low 3.2 but i also know that nikon is a good brand. she has had the camera for a few years but has only taken a handful of photos on it (less than 20). she's asking $200 for the camera which comes with a 16mb card and for the remote shutter release which was never used - the battery for that is still in the original packaging. the receipt for that part alone says that she paid about $120 for it. anyone have any ideas about this?

--------------------

i like the x

Posts: 607 | From: MA, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RagingBITCH
Sarge
Member # 68

Rate Member

posted 10-01-2004 03:50 PM     Profile for RagingBITCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Nikon Coolpix 990 was a top of the line digital camera....over 4 years ago though.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990/page17.asp
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nikon990_pg3.html#conclusion

2 excellent summaries - Steves-digicams.com is a very well known Digicam review site (DPreview is slightly lesser known)

Honestly, I dislike the design (physically) and the fact that it's 4 years old. (When it debuted, I don't know what the manufacture date is of when hers was made)

What type of a digicam are you really looking for anyway? Point and click? Do you like taking a lot of outdoor/activity shots? Nature? Wide/closeup shots? Do you like fiddling with manual settings? This seems like more of an older power-user camera.

Also - a 16MB card will hold very few shots on it in this day and age, especially at a higher resolution.

My recommendation is regardless, you could probably find a better camera for point and click for about the same money. (Canon A70/75, maybe the A80) A competing Nikon to the A80 might be the 4200/4300 series.

If you're really big into the manual settings, you might go with a DSLR, but that's well and above the price level of any of the above mentioned cameras.

Posts: 2628 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-01-2004 04:18 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, to be completely honest, you can buy a better camera, brand new, for the same price. AND get a higher capacity flash card.

(Speaking from my experience at Best Buy)

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 10-02-2004 12:44 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've got a Nikon 995 and I really like it, but I got mine in Box (nearly new) with all the documentation, 96mb flash card, and a few lenses for $230.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com