Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Web Dev technical questions...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web Dev technical questions...
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 09-29-2004 11:16 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have an opportunity to get a gig updating and maintaining an .asp website. I've never done this. I play with .php a bit and obviously can fumble my way through html code

My question is, what are the major pitfalls with updating and maintaining a .asp website? Should I respectfully decline? or should I jump off into it?

site is www.taxfree-exchange.com

Concerns include such simple stuff as, say I download a page and insert a new link or pic or something. Can I do that simply with plain old html then load the page up and have it work witout breaking anything? etc.

The deal is for a long-term arrangement. The site seems simple enough but they have regulatory considerations to deal with. Also what would a guy charge for a service like that?

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-29-2004 12:29 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ASP kicks PHP's ass. ASP.NET is even better. But its power and flexibility comes from having to know more about programming than scripting.

I would suggest looking into it if you want to expand your skill set as a web developer. ASP might have a bit of a large learning curve though, since it incorporates languages like Visual BASIC and such. Knowing PHP is valuable since all the cheapest hosting on the net runs the LAMP server model (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), but expanding to ASP and ASP.NET would only make you look better.

[ 09-29-2004: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-29-2004 01:13 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do almost all my web programming with ASP. I'd say jump on it. If you have trouble you can always outsource the work to my company.

We also do 20 percent kickbacks on all referals if you just wanted to wash your hands and collect a check.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 09-29-2004 01:16 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The worst side is obviously that the server is running Windows, which is hell e.g. for remote support tools. I wouldn't want a Windows server.

You will of course need to learn to edit ASP pages. If you're bored it might be a fun hobby or something, but make sure you're interested in doing that before signing up.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 09-29-2004 03:06 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so what do I charge?

--------------------

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 09-29-2004 08:53 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's definately not just throwing html together. I've only looked at ASP once, but it was similar (in concept) to Cold Fusion, which I've had 5 years of experiance in. Don't let that scare you too much, it's really actually easy, but you do have a learning curve. How much database experiance do you have, how much database work is involved, what database, etc. That has as much of an impact as the ASP code.
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 09-29-2004 09:28 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the page itself looks like a simple Frontpage Frames site. Only when you open a link in a new window you see this (for example)
http://www.taxfree-exchange.com/new/taxfree-exchange/content.asp?contentid=2016069883

so this is .ASP yes? not ASP.NET? how can you tell?

I have to put together a set of questions for the client before I commit, things like I'm curious about the hosting package. What tools do they have etc. How can I backup the site and database. What kind of database? ADO, SQL? ACCESS? etc.

How would I go about editing/updating this thing? Just pull it into Frontpage? Dreamweaver? GoLive? Or will I have to rely on EditPad or one of those (sort of started using TextPad lately)

SHould I pass on this and slide it Josh's way and just collect his referral fee?

I'm unemployed lol, I could use the gig.

--------------------

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-29-2004 10:37 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're prolly not ready to do it for money. You need practice. I wouldn't use client opportunities to help me learn stuff unless I was acclimated to a system and was just unfamiliar with nuances.

Since the advent of ASP.NET, regular ASP is called Classic ASP. Classic ASP pages have the .asp extension. ASP.NET pages have a .aspx extension.

Visual Studio is the best tool for ASP/ASP.NET. You can prolly do ASP in Frontpage (or hell, notepad for that matter), but Visual Studio has a cool feature called auto-complete which means you can type in the beginning part of HTML and code keywords and it will bring up a list of known HTML or code keywords it thinks you're trying to type. Extremely handy and timesaving.

If you want to do ASP.NET, you need Visual Studio, as the web page code is partially compiled into a DLL and not just a script.

[ 09-29-2004: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-30-2004 01:29 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dev - we could work something out where you work on the HTML/graphics/design aspect while I work on the ASP Code part. You could send me plain HTML versions of what you want to do and I would incorporate it into the existing ASP structure. We could do a 50/50 split on the payment. Are they looking for a monthly maintenance contract or just a per job thing?

--------------------

I am.

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-30-2004 01:43 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dev -

I would charge them a straight $75/hr for ASP programming or $1800 for up to 3 hours maintainence per month for a year (additional hours @ $50).

--------------------

I am.

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 09-30-2004 02:38 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Josh, contact me please

look in my profile, or stop by ICX, My MSN is there

or wth

kerbeylane@hotmail.com use my MSN messenger

[ 09-30-2004: Message edited by: Devastator ]

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-01-2004 09:38 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I sent you an ICQ message - email me at j k o v a c i c h AT u s c o m p u t i n g .com

--------------------

I am.

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 10-01-2004 06:03 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oops sorry, have been using MSN most of the time lately.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com