Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Anyone seen Asmo the Canadian?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone seen Asmo the Canadian?
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2004 06:18 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's amazing so many of us are still around. Who do you remember from the old days who no longer stops in to say hi?
Who was first? GF KILLER? Drako? OICU812? I know I came in long after many of you. I think it was Summer of 98' but I could be wrong.

How many of you changed your screen name over the last 8 - 4 years?
And where did you come up with your name?

Doublefresh is the name of a kitty litter company. I needed a quick name to log onto this site with. I had no intention of keeping it. I looked around the room I was in, saw the bag of cat litter and typed it in. Six years later and I have the same name here.

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
rokz
Sarge
Member # 3046

posted 09-07-2004 07:40 PM     Profile for rokz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grimm can stay lost.
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2004 08:08 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

http://www.myanimeart.com/ <= Grimm's website

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 09-07-2004 09:28 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and here as well

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 09-08-2004 12:41 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone already registered cyborg@hotbot.com so I registered cyborg6@hotbot.com

Pretty boring story,,,lol

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-08-2004 02:05 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well you see, believe it or not, my given name is in fact Josh. i cleverly changed the 'O' to a '0' though.

[ 09-08-2004: Message edited by: J0SH ]

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2004 03:42 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
so is that pronounced "yeh-ZEE-rosh"?

Willie Trombone was the guide in the neverhood, one of the coolest games ever. I was also playing a little bit of jazz trombone at the time I took the name. I didn't think I would have it long, but it took me about two more years to come with effusant, and by that time, I figured there'd be no point to change. I also went by Ivy Mike for like a month or two. I thought that was a really cool name. It was the code name given to the very first hydrogen bomb.

As for who was first, it was probably technically GFKiller. I mean, he was always the admin and main moderator. But Drako was around from the very beginning, too. RoGuE Bitch and I came in around the same time -- April or May '98, and Jarlaxle was already here by then. I think OICU came in a couple months later. Drako, GFK, RB, and myself are the only ones I specifically remember right now from the board before the UBB. Xanthan pretty early, too, posting as tom servo IIRC., but I don't remember if that was before the UBB.

[ 09-08-2004: Message edited by: WillyTrombone ]

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-08-2004 05:46 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was here right after the switch to UBB.

--------------------

I am.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-08-2004 07:25 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Willy's got a good memory. We are some old dudes, it would be awesome if we could get some new blood or make the board more active again, like it used to be. It's pretty amazing to think we've been posting as a group for all these years.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2004 08:52 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Originally I went by Dickweed and it was still Quake2.com.

Shortly after I changed to Cacophonous but stuck with Dickweed's persona.

I was there when burble was still Burble X

--------------------

Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-09-2004 12:33 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was Big T for prolly a year and a half, switched around Winter 2000/01 to what I have now. I try to keep it consistent, which requires me to put a lot of thought into my chosen alias.

This is a nickname smohq gave to me. I thought it was cool enough to adapt.

Right on, rokz. I couldn't care less what happened to him.

[ 09-09-2004: Message edited by: Flux ]

--------------------

Fuze
Sarge
Member # 45

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 01:59 AM     Profile for Fuze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this was the first board I posted to after I installed my fresh copy of Quake 2 (just released). WillyT~ helped me find a disk to help finish a level. All I wanted was to play Q2....and here I am still with you all.
*one of the best unexpected things in my life*

Now if I could only get my whites whiter and rid my life of cabbage I would truly be complete.

These pants make my ass look big, don't they...

=)

--------------------

Wanker Extrodinare

Posts: 1350 | From: British Columbia (not England or South America) | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 09:27 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
willy - it had to be before april of 98 because when we switched to the paying UBB instead of the free one we all had to re-register, and that was mid 99. I think we were online for quite some time before that, like way over a year. When I got here I remember HAMMER, HAL9000, Nietzel, you, Asmo, BurbleX, and Zeramid. I think Cac and Cyb0rg were around too.

--------------------

I am.

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 09:28 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ohhh, and Scooby Doo

--------------------

I am.

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2004 10:09 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have had many names.
My first was gotta woody, which originated ~ April '98.
Then I developed Tea Bagger.
Also:
Mick
Dr.Nevens
Nurse Janie
The Lounge
dashriproc
Cyborg6
Jagger
Mickweed
Master of Puppets
Cacaphonous
Power Puff Girl
PrincessLeia
Talon Strike

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 12:03 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
rofl? tea bagger was gotta wooody? flux was big t?

--------------------

I am.

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2004 02:53 PM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pay...
gotta woody
Sarge
Member # 67

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 02:55 PM     Profile for gotta woody   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
attention.
Posts: 215 | From: pa | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jarlaxle
Sarge
Member # 11

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 04:03 PM     Profile for Jarlaxle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WTF, Gotta = TB???

Man I can remember being on a dial-up connection at a hotel while on a business trip in Toronto chatting on ICQ with ya Matt (and your girlfriend at the time too)...

This whole time you were TB!!?!

LOL

--------------------

=[R]=Ian=

Posts: 1732 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2004 04:06 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who is Cacaphonous?

--------------------

Jarlaxle
Sarge
Member # 11

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 04:07 PM     Profile for Jarlaxle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We were shooting the shit about that silly hockey team of yours :P

On a related note, I can't remember when I first joined the board here. It was a long time ago, like Fuze, I installed Q2 and had troubles and typed in "quake2.com"...

It was definetly pre-UBB, back when all there was were postings to join Q2 clans... a lot of spam. I definetly know that old fart Drako predates me on that board...

I'm pretty sure I have an old archived copy of the HammerTown site too, I'll try and find it...

--------------------

=[R]=Ian=

Posts: 1732 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2004 04:51 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe it was Drako, WillyT, and Tom Servo around before this board was running any version of UBB. It was that lame ass BB software that everysite not wanting to pay a dime had. It had no authentication scripts so you could basically post with any name you wanted.

Getting frustrated at the people exploiting this, that's when I approached Blitz and asked him if there was something I can do to stop the madness. That's when he named me Forum Admin and gave me rights to the FTP so I could find a better forum software and install it from the ground up. That's when I stumbled upon the free version of UBB, so I figured "Why not."

Noticing the large possibilities of customizability, it's simple interface, and account security that's when I believe we went into looking to purchase the full version. The rest is history from there. The board was originall Quake2.com through all that. Sometime after we switch to the regged version of UBB we changed format to Quake3.com. I believe Quake2.com was through two color schemes. The first was an orange/yellow kind of thing (which I always favored). After that it was more like our current scheme (cyan, dark teals, and such).

I remember how pissed I was (and everyone else) when I switched it to the regged version and everyone had to re-register. Ugh that sucked.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Stranger
Sarge
Member # 922

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 05:51 PM     Profile for The Stranger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy Gents.

I still check in on you all every so often.

OUT

Fuze
Sarge
Member # 45

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 07:16 PM     Profile for Fuze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked the orange/yellow.
Posts: 1350 | From: British Columbia (not England or South America) | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-09-2004 09:18 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread is making me feel fuzzy
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-09-2004 10:07 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gotta agree, the orange/brown scheme seemed more "home" than the blue/cyan. Dunno what it is, but the newer color scheme just always felt distant, mechanical.

gotta gree on the fuzzy thing, too. More than six years now. You guys rock.

Oh, and hi, The Stranger. long time no see. you IM'ed me a few weeks ago, but I was gone. =/. I'll try to get in touch soon. gonna hang out with smohq and lizardboy this weekend.

--------------------

signature

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 09-10-2004 06:53 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, JarX, TB= gotta woody. Here's where it all came out (you dropped out of the discussion before it was revealed, although you pretty much knew): It is time. I need everone's attention. Check-in here! I was bored, no one was here, so I tried to stir some interest. I guess it worked.

I remember the icqversation. The chick though was a married friend, not my girlfriend. We did however get married this July Her nick is Clam Dipper.

If the NHL locks out this season, the Flyers and the rest of the league can all lick my sac...

[ 09-10-2004: Message edited by: Tea Bagger ]

fury
Sarge
Member # 676

Rate Member

posted 09-11-2004 01:14 AM     Profile for fury   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I showed up sometime when it was the Q3arena.com free-UBB. You're right, it is indeed amazing... years and years and many of us are still coming around. I've never known a community that lasted as long as this one.

Same nickname since I started here, although I developed several alternate identities, including Cacophonous, [R]ailGun, and I am also really John Carmack and Steve Jobs at the same time.

I got my name from my short temper and tendency to get violently enraged. (who do you think inspired the definition at Dictionary.com? )

[ 09-11-2004: Message edited by: fury ]

Posts: 842 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 09-11-2004 01:44 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
violently enraged?

okay, but I think a monitor through a wall qualifies as more than that. Unless it was a cheap ass KDS monitor. . .in which case it's not just fully justified, it's recommended.

Oh yeah, sup dude

[ 09-11-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 09-11-2004 05:27 PM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nobody ever remembers me. My original name was MaD MaX but since I lost the password and I don't have access to the e-mail account I registered with I can't reclaim so now I am stuck with Max and a really high member #.

I came on in 98 at the same time as a lot the others. I recall many names from back then like (in no specific order and not meaning to exclude anyone) Cy, RagingBitch, the RoGuE guys, some chicks, Jondster, Outrider, Lord Vader, Doberman, Probie, Hammer, et al. It was fun running around as an HPB. The thing is, when I became and LPB Q3 was in full swing and I never really liked it so much so drifted out of the scene.

If any of the admins here can get me my MaD MaX password that would be sweet!!!

--------------------

(_*_)

Posts: 163 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-12-2004 02:15 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone remember the Guru?

And none of you jerks remember me, I've been here just as long if not longer than most

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2004 03:40 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember guru and of course xanthan.

What about Cannibal Corpse from Detroit anyone remember him?

When I first started posting here many of you helped me get started with computers.

Prior to then (for the first 35 years of my life) I had zero interest in computers. I was strictly into music, art, etc.

The music industry for the consumer was just utilizing computers when I got out of that arena.

Anyway Grimm helped me get though a glitch when doing my first format/install of Windows 98 (first edition).

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2004 04:31 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember bumping into The Guru in the Pointless Audio chatrooms. Actually, I think I recognized his nick here from those chatrooms. something like that, anyway. Kinda makes me wonder what ever happened to the kid that was doing that show. He had a lot of potential.

--------------------

signature

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-12-2004 04:51 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
I remember bumping into The Guru in the Pointless Audio chatrooms. Actually, I think I recognized his nick here from those chatrooms. something like that, anyway. Kinda makes me wonder what ever happened to the kid that was doing that show. He had a lot of potential.

http://www.lickmysweaty.com/

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2004 07:10 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see.

Are his old crank calls still available anywhere online? I want to hear the one where he called an international shipping crate company to inquire about a box for his pet.

--------------------

signature

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 09-12-2004 07:26 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WillyTrombone:
I see.

Are his old crank calls still available anywhere online? I want to hear the one where he called an international shipping crate company to inquire about a box for his pet.

Yup, http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5360

He's also apparently on G4TV now, http://www.g4techtv.com/html/host.asp?host_key=39

[ 09-12-2004: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-12-2004 11:26 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those crank calls were great.

Max, give me an e-mail address and I'll send you the password.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 09-13-2004 09:28 AM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
max at bodoin.com

Cheers GFK!

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: Max ]

--------------------

(_*_)

Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 09-16-2004 09:36 AM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't get the mail so maybe you can try sooty70@hotmai.com? I've been switching hosts over the past few days so maybe it slipped into someone's arse?

--------------------

(_*_)

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 09-16-2004 01:02 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where's [R]ailgun?
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 09-16-2004 03:02 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lol! remember he toasted zeramid's hard drive with a trojan and he thought he was some kind of elite hacker....then he said he was gonna bring his laptop to McDonalds in Singapore and dial up from there so that he could not be traced.

--------------------

I am.

smohq
Visor
Member # 3133

Rate Member

posted 09-18-2004 01:04 AM     Profile for smohq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I coulda swore I was registered here, but I was mistaken (that's fixed now, apparently). Anyweigh, those of you I hadn't originally met at .net I eventually came to know at force3D. I was reletively new to the whole forum thing (.net broke my cherry) and found in you all the weirdest damn group of personalities I could've ever imagined. I'd been an id game junkie since DOOM and had played singleplayer for all those years. With the arrival of Q3 just over the horizon, I decided to find out a bit about it online. That's how I stumbled across .net and the forums there. I started out posting brain teasers and ended up just like everyone else... hating Hellbringer. Big Tx2 and WhatEver quickly became good friends of mine, as well as my future [bgc] clanmates QuadBait and 1ntr1ns1c. I was (and still am) a total buffoon when it came to 'puters n shit, and I must say, I learned more than I can ever thank you all for from my time in your midst at F3D.

I still to this day am honored that Big Tx2 took my suggestion (from the Flux Capacitor) to use as his new moniker that he still uses to this day. Same with the nickname I gave WhatEver when he started using his Christian (and I DO mean Christian ) name Aaron Taylor. I dubbed him WEAT (WhatEver Aaron Taylor) and it sorta stuck.

And Flux, I still have that sign for you... I take procrastination to the EXTREME!

And, while we're sort of on the subject of a.c.r.o.n.y.m.s., I'll end this rambling with the answer to my first brain teaser at .net and the origin of my name:

Single player
Multiplayer
Options
Help
Quit

The main menu from the original Quake.

Tolja I was an id junkie...

Peace, Love and Light to all of you, my long time internet friends. Don't EVER let anyone tell you this isn't real.

--------------------

No left turn unstoned.

Posts: 16 | From: San Pedro, CA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-18-2004 05:18 PM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there's 20 20... smohq posted... *sniff* I feel all warm and snuggly inside.

I just figured you forgot about the sign, smohq. And you never did solve that brainteaser I posted, The Diabolix. Man, does that take me back.

--------------------

smohq
Visor
Member # 3133

Rate Member

posted 09-18-2004 10:21 PM     Profile for smohq   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha, I meant to bring the Diabolix up in that last post but I spaced on it during all that rambling. I still have it here on this computer. I might just have to get "creative" and open it back up.

--------------------

No left turn unstoned.

Posts: 16 | From: San Pedro, CA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flux
Sarge
Member # 3052

posted 09-19-2004 03:14 AM     Profile for Flux   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you still have the questions (I remember posing several pattern problems), I'd like to get the whole package from you, because I lost the solutions.

Talk about a puzzle. Its creator forgot how to solve it. Who knew that 4 years ago I created a puzzle for myself?

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com