Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » 38 days & counting (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: 38 days & counting
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 06-17-2004 06:40 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Till this site is gone forever

We never got a response back from Bini about continuing the site, the news guys seem to have jumped ship about a month ago, and the domain name is winding its way towards expiration. I guess all things end eventually, but this is slightly more depressing than I'd expected it to be.

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Jakeman
Sarge
Member # 295

Rate Member

posted 06-17-2004 07:12 PM     Profile for The Jakeman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's gay when site admins jump ship. They should turn over access to some one.

--------------------

lamo mac boy

Posts: 800 | From: Modesto, California, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-17-2004 09:28 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Which news guy, DGHOST I know left, but it WAS turned over to someone else at that point.

It is kinda depressing. I don't know of any boards we could invade. Well. . there's my clan's board. ah hell, why not. www.extrememalice.com

Nice bunch of guys and a few gals.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 06-17-2004 09:41 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lizardboy has been trying to get me over to the joe rogan board. they occassionally play games there.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 06-17-2004 11:25 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was thinking about throwing up a bb on my website whenever I got around to renovating it, if people would like to use that.
Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 06-17-2004 11:29 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not like we haven't used like four other boards already, what's another hurt?

[it'd be really cool if you did that too]

Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 06-18-2004 01:59 AM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hang around www.3dgpu.com for the most part. I have been a member there for years. Some really nice guys. Mostly an older crowd with a couple of young punks thrown in for good measure. I am sure you guys would fit in well over there.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 06-18-2004 05:54 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
Till this site is gone forever

We never got a response back from Bini about continuing the site, the news guys seem to have jumped ship about a month ago, and the domain name is winding its way towards expiration. I guess all things end eventually, but this is slightly more depressing than I'd expected it to be.

Crap...too bad...

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-18-2004 10:20 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, it sucks that we can't get in touch with Bini but I guess all things must come to an end.

I highly suggest we find a new home before we lose all communications over this BB. I'd hate to lose contact with everyone.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-18-2004 08:05 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha, be like the Fluff and infultrate a foreign message board Only with not so much zeal...
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 06-19-2004 01:00 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lets kick some ass and take over the Huey Lewis and the News fan forums!

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-19-2004 02:12 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac, I know that the Heart of Rock and Roll is still beating, but damnit man I don't want to go Back in Time.

[ 06-19-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-19-2004 02:44 AM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is the only bb i've ever been to =(
tis gonna be a long summer *cries*

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 06-19-2004 01:50 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't someone just buy the domain and let things continue the way they are?

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 06-19-2004 03:57 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once the domain expires I suppose we could buy it and then create a new site...
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 06-19-2004 05:57 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the domain could even be placed on backorder right now

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 01:19 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if we all chip in and pay for it? I'm sure most of our members wouldn't mind paying $1-5 to help out. I know I would.

--------------------

god
Sarge
Member # 52

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 05:31 PM     Profile for god   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This site should not die...This place has been around for so long that it would be wrong to let it fall apart. It only takes a little bit to keep the site going.

"So I sip on my days moderately and spend my nights on overpriced dreams"

Edited to say even god makes mistakes

[ 06-20-2004: Message edited by: god ]

Posts: 260 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 09:32 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do like the domain name idea, but then the matter of what our current host plans to do is anyones guess. A long term solution is what we need if anyone is really serious about this, I'd definetely put up money.
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 09:36 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and here's the exact WHOIS off of internic's website. I'm not all that good at legalities, but according to the end of this page, there's a possibility that the expiration might not mean the listing will stop?

quote:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: Q3ARENA.COM
Registrar: BULKREGISTER, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.bulkregister.com
Referral URL: http://www.bulkregister.com
Name Server: NS.NETMEGS.COM
Name Server: NS3.NETMEGS.COM
Updated Date: 17-jun-2002
Creation Date: 26-jul-1998
Expiration Date: 25-jul-2004

>>> Last update of whois database: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 08:14:25 EDT <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
by the following terms of use: You agree that you may use this Data only
for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure
operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the
Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 10:12 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
can we set up a pay pal thing?

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 10:33 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.asmallorange.com www.bloghosts.com

They're supposed to be great hosts (asmallorange.com is advertised by neowin.net admins, so I'd imagine that it's good. prices are good). I can say that bloghosts.com is a good one because I know guys that use it.

I'll chip in. It's the least I could do.

dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 06-20-2004 11:32 PM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh, and here's the exact WHOIS off of internic's website. I'm not all that good at legalities, but according to the end of this page, there's a possibility that the expiration might not mean the listing will stop?

So if the domain name expires, we should still be able to get here via ip ( http://209.61.216.120 ) unless the host pulls the plug too. Right?
Or to get straight here http://209.61.216.120/resources/UltimateBB/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

[ 06-20-2004: Message edited by: dAm ]

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 06-21-2004 12:17 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well not if the same vendor is hosting the site as well registering the domain name.

--------------------

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 06-21-2004 08:32 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
having the domain name IS quite useless without having access to the forums and the host. Who is hosting? Who set it up? Who controls hosting and access to it? Without that info it's useless to register the domain (unless somebody really REALLY cares about hosting a Q3A site).

I'm actually for merging with another community. Nothing like new friends, especially if we can convince the site admins to create a new Q3A/F3D/IncoX forum for us

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 06-21-2004 04:57 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well that sucks, I like FS's idea.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 06-21-2004 08:25 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh what the fuck, guy.

If we can just get a tarball of the forums, we could move the board in-tact to a new box.

Oh yea, hi.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 06-22-2004 06:15 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Jay
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 06-22-2004 06:55 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the hell is up, RoUgEbItCh??? Good to hear from you. What have you been doing?

I

have

missed

you.

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 06-22-2004 09:18 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

tarball

n. [very common; An archive, created with the Unix tar(1)
utility, containing myriad related files. "Here, I'll just ftp you
a tarball of the whole project." Tarballs have been the standard
way to ship around source-code distributions since the mid-1980s; in
retrospect it seems odd that this term did not enter common usage
until the late 1990s.

And I thought he was using some of his/her cool rougebitchian slang...

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-22-2004 11:54 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holy shit, I just realized thats RogueBitch and not RaverBoy.

WTF is up man!!!

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 06-22-2004 02:28 PM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You flatter me. =D

(no, wait..)

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-22-2004 03:59 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's alright, I still hate you Rvr!
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 06-22-2004 04:30 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
tarball of the files is not enough, we also need a database dump

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 06-23-2004 01:05 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, hi guys I've missed you all, too..I'm doing alright. Some of the stuff I've been up to is on http://jaydolan.com. More catch up later, tho..we really should save this board.

FS - back when I used the UBB, it just used flatfiles to store threads etc. Has that changed?

Rvr, GFK, Riv, Xan, Cac, TB..hehe, this is great. I should have stopped in a while ago.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 06-23-2004 04:10 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IIRC Grimm, bless his soul, used to bitch about databases way way back, and didn't we lose the whole forum history once because of a db crash. I would consider anything except a database sheer lunacy for using in forums...

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 06-23-2004 05:37 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but this version of UBB (which hasn't been updated since god knows when) uses flat-file-db's (or whatever you want to call them).
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 06-23-2004 10:47 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool hey there Jay.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2004 02:03 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BITCH!!! how goes it

--------------------

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2004 11:25 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will be bidding adieu and bowing out afterwards...anyone who gives a fuck can contact me in whatever means they have.

I am tired.

removed sound cause it was a little harsh and not my true sentiment...

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 06-25-2004 06:17 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why are ppl so damn uptight.. jeez
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 06-25-2004 06:45 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want to stay in touch with you people.

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-25-2004 08:08 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
not up tight...just tired. it has been a long run, and I have enjoyed it. I am just....tired. I hold nothing against anyone here. We are all individuals here and for the freedom to be so I am eternally grateful; to our pathetic military and to the gargantuan military to the south. But the lack of NEW individuals on this board (and subsequently the blue board...and then the green board again) has left me thin. The aame old rhetoric, same attitude, same opinion. And there is nothing wrong with that in the least. That is what friendships are made of. We are just lacking new stimuli...I suppose that is something going to a new board might offer, but this is the only messageboard other than an underground member by invite only warez board that I have actually ever latched onto. But this community has been offered a death sentence and I do not feel we will get that anywhere else unless we find/make our own board, in which WE invite fresh meat.

So again, not uptight. Just tired. I thank you all for tolerating me to some degree in my antics, which very few ever really understood. I know I have pissed off EVERY single one of you at one point and if any hold a grudge, I do sincerely appologize. Further to that, I do not by any means wish to sever ties to ANY of you guys. We have shared too many a discussion, arguments, laughs and a few tears since 1999. From 9/11 to D2's plight to 40 (I think it was him) damn near electrocuting himself in his own shit. As far as a messageboard goes, I think we would be hard pressed to find one with as many 5+ year regulars as we have here. And this is probably among my most sincere expressions I have ever posted here.

I hope this clarifies things GFK.

And xanthan, enjoy the latest chapter from the Book of Snag

Ed to say: I am actually surprised I still maintain a 5 star rating after 5 years (now watch it plummet now that I pointed it out rofl)

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 06-25-2004 11:46 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think some asshole rated me one star

If you're ugly ass would ever come on MSN or whatever it is you dumb canadians use, I'd talk to you

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-26-2004 01:17 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, I should come on MSN sometime
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 06-26-2004 01:33 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, because the good lord knows that I love cybering/tormenting my favorite canadian
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 06-26-2004 03:20 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd give you a 5 star rating if I could buddy...but I already gave you a 1 after you refused to swallow
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 06-26-2004 03:26 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everyone.

I still check in every now and then. Fucking crazy, some new boards, the site's going to be pulled. No new faces?

Hi.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 06-26-2004 06:09 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Snag, you've never pissed me off. I think the worst anyone has done is Cy with his remark about my picture with that cute puppy. You could almost say he got my goat.

I enjoy talking to everyone, each with their uniqueness... sure some of you are as rough as my day old beared, but I'd never hold that against ya. (well maybe the girls for some giggles)

Don't let this place die!

--------------------

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 06-27-2004 12:21 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac, I want to touch you too.

Let's move to an existing board elsewhere. Good suggestions?

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com