Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Pyramid schemes...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pyramid schemes...
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2004 01:43 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I've been sceptical and curious about these things for a while, but mostly just ignored them... until today.

Yup, I signed up for an internet pyramid scheme (mainly for curiosity's sake). Essentially, you're paying $8 for access to the website, which really goes at $2 a pop to the person who signed you up, 2 people under him and the owner of the scheme (now that guy's making the $$). At any rate the site has banners all over the place apparantly and guarentees that they will continue to randomly place your id in the link until you get $32,550. Of course, you can also advertise your own id and make money that way...

At any rate, since this isn't an advertisement thread and I'm doing this more out of curiosity than anything, I'm not going to post an specifics about the scheme (can't violate the TOS of q3arena.com, wouldn't want to get banninated or anything).

I'll report back on how this works out for me. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how well this does or doesn't work out.

(And yes, I know I'm a gullible fool)

[ 03-23-2004: Message edited by: Serengeti ]

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-23-2004 07:17 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So far you've only spent $8, is that right?

That doesn't sound so bad. I don't usually believe this stuff and look straight past it, but the amount of times I've walked into McDonald's and spent $5 on food when I wasn't really that hungry puts things into perspective. Might as well take the chance and see if the scheme turns out.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2004 08:19 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My thoughts exactly.
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2004 08:23 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard of worse schemes.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2004 09:16 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Day 2, my particular banner has been shown 5 times. Nobody signed up under me yet though.

Current balance: -$8.00

Considering doing some advertising of my link, but I know how much people hate to see those things. Perhaps I'll just ask some friends and family if they want to get involved...

[ 03-24-2004: Message edited by: Serengeti ]

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2004 10:20 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Serengeti - I am going to send you an email with a new pyramid scheme. Check your email in 10 minutes. It should take less than 10 minutes for me to develop it.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2004 11:04 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
really? awesome! how much money can I make?!?!
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2004 11:09 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about you but the way I calculated it I should be able to retire in 5 years.

--------------------

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 03-25-2004 09:03 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just keep in mind that for every dollar someone makes, someone else has to lose one dollar.

There's no such thing as free money.

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2004 11:06 AM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
if someone gives me a dollar for no apparent reason, i consider it to be free. i am now $1 richer and i didnt have to do anything.

that dollar was given freely and i didnt have to trade goods or services for it. doesn’t that mean i have just made free money? from my perspective anyway (which is the only perspective that matters)

--------------------

It's a crazy world. Someone oughta sell tickets.

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2004 11:45 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well if it's a gift (I know rvr said makes) then the giver did not lose it.

--------------------

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 03-26-2004 05:07 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, yeah, the giver does lose it.
Or can you somehow argue that he KEEPS it?

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2004 02:10 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rvr, what losses he may suffer financially, he gets back 10 fold in the sense of well being that comes from doing a truly good deed.

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2004 03:36 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A good enough counterfeiter can make money that no one will lose unless the feds catch it.
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2004 03:40 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...but I guess that would be kinda dishonest.
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2004 03:48 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Then there's those treasury dudes that are in charge of burning the old money when the mint issues new paper. Some of those dudes might just be sneaky enough to pocket a few bills instead of tossing them into the incinerator. Not that is a case of making money by not losing money if ever I saw one. Course, that too may be a tad bit dishonest as well.
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2004 10:10 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RaverBoy:
Actually, yeah, the giver does lose it.
Or can you somehow argue that he KEEPS it?

Actually when one 'gives' something he does not lose it since he wants the transfer to happen.

Now if he bet some money on the lottery and and won nothing then he lost something.

Or if walking down the street money fell out of his pocket he lost it.

--------------------

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2004 09:53 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still, for someones total amount of money to go up, someone elses total amount of money has to go down.

I don't care if it was intentional, or if the guy got something good in exchange for his money. I'm just pointing out that the total amount of money in the world stays (in theory) constant.

Besides, I don't know anyone who would consider losing money to a pyramid scheme a good thing, so in order for you to be happy with the arrangement, someone (or several people) have to be unhappy with it.

But yeah, you can just ignore that, like most people investing money in the stock market does. Surely EVERYONE can win? Right?

.. right?

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 03-27-2004 09:56 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and don't get me wrong... For every loser, there must also be a winner, so it's entirely possible to make money of pyramid schemes, the stock market, poker games, betting and whatever else you can think about where money is passed around at random without any effort from the players.

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 03-29-2004 08:31 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Day 7. My banner has been shown 10 times thus far.

Amount paid: $8.00
Amount rcvd: $0.00
Bottom line: -$8.00

So far, pretty slow ;-)

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 03-29-2004 08:47 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are stuck in the get rich frame of mind.
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 04-09-2004 08:46 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, my banner has now been shown 81 times. Still zero profit.

Maybe these things don't work as well as I thought... Hmm...

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 04-11-2004 11:09 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well bugger that!

Maybe you should ask for a refund

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-11-2004 11:03 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you focus on sleazy ways to get rich you never step past go my son. Think of ways to offer other human beings something healthy and new. You will be rewarded in return for your giving.

Master Cyborg6

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 04-12-2004 12:05 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Rvr, what losses he may suffer financially, he gets back 10 fold in the sense of well being that comes from doing a truly good deed.

That is the absolute dumbest justification for participating in a pyaramid scheme I have ever heard. I get what you are saying AW, but it is still stupid. WHY? Cause of what Ser said:

quote:
Originally posted by Serengeti:
Well, my banner has now been shown 81 times. Still zero profit.

Maybe these things don't work as well as I thought... Hmm...

Even he had some dillusions of grandeur with this scheme. He never went in this to gain some moral satisfaction. He decided to test its profitability first and foremost. Not to make himself feel better about making someone else cash.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 04-12-2004 10:12 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dang, my powerball ticket didn't win this weekend either... :-(
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 04-12-2004 12:24 PM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm addicted to scratchoffs. =(
Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com