Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Anyone with a Geforce FX 5900?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone with a Geforce FX 5900?
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-09-2004 09:50 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Apparently you can flash the BIOS on it to the one from a FX 5950 the same way you do a 9800 -> 9800 Pro. The only difference between the way it works is that nvidia cards check the amount of ram the card has every time the pc boots up, while ATi cards have the amount of ram coded into them. This way, you can flash your 128meg 5900 to be a 5950ultra, which are only 256meg.

There are reports that a 9800 Pro can be flashed to be a 9800 XT, but it only works for the 256meg versions of the 9800 Pro.

Link- http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3766

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-09-2004 11:07 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
got a 9800Pro but in all honesty, I am fearful of overclocking the damn thing let alone flashing it. Besides, I do not see much point when no game even brings those cards to their knees yet.

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2004 01:59 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In reality, the only real feature that is cool about the XT is overdrive, which only overclocks it like 15mhz. You can overclock it way past that manually.

I flashed my 9800 to the Pro because it does have a significant change. If I get a better cooling solution I can bring mine to faster speeds than the XT

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2004 04:43 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is my cooling solution from Zalman. I turn the fan way down when surfing the web or having the system just idling and turn it up when gaming. Works awesome and looks kinda cool. That with my Zalman PSU as well as heatsink, the system is so damn quiet I have turned it off thinking I was turning it on. That is one more reason I do not OC anymore...more pain in the ass and annoyance than what the performance gain are worth in the required tolerance

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2004 09:27 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My gawd ...that looks absurd !

I have a 5900 but I haven't done anything with it

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2004 12:27 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Isn't that the heatpipe? I've read good reviews about it.
Zippy
Sarge
Member # 3027

Rate Member

posted 01-10-2004 12:48 PM     Profile for Zippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes, that is the heatpipe from zalman and i also have it for my ti4400 and it kicks ass for cooling and noise. BTW snag didn't want to try it at first untill i bought it and was the test piggy.

--------------------

Posts: 94 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 01-10-2004 04:18 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How hard are they to put on? That's the only thing keeping me from jumping on the boat.

Also..snag..what's that extra piece that the radeon comes with for? It's like a shorter metal plate for the back..it doesn't have the DVI input on it. It doesn't even fit the card?

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-11-2004 04:06 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
extra piece? i have the AIW so mine only has DVI output but it comes with a DVI-d-sub changer.

as far as you go Zippy...I would rather have you fry your card than me fry mine

Acid, it isn't to bad putting it on, but I used a whole tube of Arctic Silver cause I was putting a thermal probe underneath and the fucking thing kept coming off and I had to keep starting over (that and zippy phoning every 10 fucking seconds didn't help )

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited by: Snag ]

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-16-2004 09:10 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My Radeon9700Pro uses the Zalman w/o a fan. I love the quiet. Weighs in at almost 400grams tho... so you need to tighten the screw that holds the GFX card real tight, and be carefull when moving the case.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com