Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » So what's everybody been doing?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So what's everybody been doing?
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 01:23 AM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The old community has come kinda unglued over the past couple of years, but I'm glad to see that people still check the boards from time to time.

So what's new?

Me? I put on about 100 pounds (became a regular lardass), started exercising, and took about 80 of it back off. I've been working a LOT...there used to be four "web guys" at work, and they canned the other three positions because of the state budget problems, leaving me to do the work of four. On top of that, I've also gone back to school...I'm finally going to undo my "dropout" status and finish that degree

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 11-04-2003 10:50 AM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am still crunching seti units

and good for you on the school

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 02:06 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I took off about 100 pounds. And put 35 of it back on.

and now I'm at UCSB. Still undergrad (sigh. I'll have my BS in '05), doing physics and chemistry, and now part of the Gaucho Pep Explosion (played at the first womens' basketball game last night. fun stuff).

And I picked up a pretty serious girlfriend over the summer but of course, she's down in my parents' town.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 02:53 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
met a girl this summer. but i see her like once every 2 months because our schools are on teh opposite sides of the u.s.
i jus turned 21 a few days ago so i've been learning about the bar scene and memorizing my favorite drinks.
in my 4th year of college and wwu in business and math. prolly got another year or so cause i'm taking my sweet ass time and hella other classes that don't deal with my major.
been on this board for like a year now and i think its pretty chill.

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 07:08 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Willy~ What are you planning to do with a physics degree? Teach? Research?

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 07:54 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been making a French bread pizza in a toaster oven.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2003 08:20 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm working hard at a gym, saving money so i can move out to colorado. getting my credits all straitened out so i can transfer to the university in boulder.

--------------------

It's a crazy world. Someone oughta sell tickets.

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
LordVader
Sarge
Member # 30

Rate Member

posted 11-05-2003 02:45 AM     Profile for LordVader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Been fighting the war on terrorism. Coming home on saturday after an 8 month deployment. We pulled out of San Diego on March 3.
The carrier strike group we worked with pulls in tomorrow...USS Nimitz.
Watch the news for the USS Fitzgerald coming home...that's me.
These long deployments can really kill a marriage, or really strengthen them. I'm very lucky to have a wonderful wife and family...the deployment was 10 times harder on them than it was on me.

It is good to see everyone still checking in from time to time.

Posts: 400 | From: Temecula, CA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2003 03:37 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
Willy~ What are you planning to do with a physics degree? Teach? Research?

yes.

I think I might take some time off after getting my BS to get some work for while, probably in defense or at lab like UL or something like that.

Otherwise, I want to go on in post grad work, although I haven't really decided entirely what yet. I'm thinking either as a chemical engineer with an emphasis in nuclear technologies or as a mechanical engineer working with engines and turbines or maybe as a doctor of physics to teach and research something like superconducting materials and/or biocomputers (I've been reading some fascinating papers lately about how neurons aren't simple switches but rather the microtubules holding them together are which, if correct, adjust the previous estimations of the computing power of the human as reachable within ten years of silicon development to some vaguely construed estimation of maybe in the next 50 years assuming moore's theory holds. I mean, the cytoskeleton of a neuron is dozens if not scores of orders of magnitude more complex than the intercellular connections.)

--------------------

signature

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2003 03:28 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, LV , I for one know exactly how happy you will be to step on U.S. soil again. Glad to hear from you. One of my buddys who is still in the navy just got back not too long ago himself. He was on the same carrier as I back in the 80's, now he's stationed on a ship that transports troops.
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 11-05-2003 05:59 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
my oldest bro went into nuclear fizix and now he does research at los alamos.
I think he wanted to do something else tho but he and his wife got excepted there.

i sometimes feel like i should change my major to fizix jus cause it is so fun.
maybe if i am ever lucky enough to get tons of money somehow, i'll jus keep on going to school to learn about everything i actually wanna learn about.
like dinosaurs!

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 11-06-2003 06:26 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Besides being trapped in a dead-end IT job, you mean?

Scroll to the far bottom of this page.. That's what I've been doing. =D
Now.. does anyone know any rich investors looking for the Next Big Thing so we can get some proper artists?

I've missed you, guys. =( You were actually (and possibly sadly) a big part of my life for a long time.

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2003 09:10 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
RaverFella,

Welcome home.

I

missed

you

too!

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 11-06-2003 08:11 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Selling huge plastic things over the internet.

Raising a 2 year old boy.

Getting older.

Getting bored.

Getting interested in stuff again.

Getting bored.

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2003 10:55 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Put on 20 pounds, took 10 off. Still doing the IT thing, wondering when Raver's gonna get some money so his adventure will REALLY pay off for him. Thanking people like Vader. Still pissing my wife off. Trying not to let my kids beat me up. They're 12 and 14, and like to test. They've failed the test. So far, anyway. AND, I'm STILL good at rambling incoherantly!
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 11-07-2003 02:03 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Studying still, and being the designated driver

Been very hectic, I've got 4 essays on the go right now. Juggling is hard.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mich
Sarge
Member # 2550

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2003 05:55 AM     Profile for Mich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Getting older. (29 next year)
Losing my hair.
Looking for a way to work from home as I can't stand going to job everyday.

Posts: 102 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mich
Sarge
Member # 2550

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2003 05:59 AM     Profile for Mich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey RaverBoy, great job, I am really impressed.
Good luck.

Posts: 102 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2003 07:47 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Raver~ Dead end IT job? How is 3D graphics development in Java dead end?

I'd rather be doing that than the J2EE ERP tool development that occupies FAR too much of my time today (there's no real demand for web developers anymore, so I've had to branch into more mainstram programming...bleck).

--------------------

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 11-07-2003 07:55 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Willy~ Ack! Biocomputers? You mean, I could be programming BRAINS in a few decades? Something tells me that I'll have to go back to school for that one

I didn't realize that anyone was even looking at neuron based computing yet.

If I reboot my biocomputer, can I be charged with murder?

--------------------

WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 11-08-2003 01:06 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
not neurons. What it looks like is that it might be biopolymers such as a DNA microtubules that act as the processing subunits in a quantum computer. The brain is still FAR too complicated to understand. Although... I have heard of robotic devices being controlled by rat brains. (Or was it monkey brains? I forget...) Anyway, the cutting edge of research is really mindboggling. Did you know there's already a private company starting work on commercial quantum encryption?

--------------------

signature

Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 11-10-2003 03:29 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Been doing the IT support thing, trying to figure out how the hell I can get a job that has nothing to do with computers that pays the same... so far no answers...

Still, things are going well... met myself a wonderful woman, moved in with her a year ago and now we're looking to buy a house together... ate some good food, drank some good beer... having a pretty decent time actually.

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 11-10-2003 04:19 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
having a pretty decent time actually

But...

But...

You're in IOWA!!

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 11-11-2003 09:00 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Quit smoking and gained 35 lbs, lost 20 of them.

Working for a dumb-ass German company peddling furniture components to office furniture manufacturers in Wisconsin, Mich, NY, PA, CT, NJ. Traveling too much.

Maybe that's why I like WW2 FPS games. I can blow away Krauts, pretending that they're my company's upper mgt.

Since I started post here I've taken twin boys from 9 years old to almost 16 .... that's a trip.

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
D2
Sarge
Member # 91

Rate Member

posted 11-11-2003 12:37 PM     Profile for D2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for me... Just the same oh same oh. Working to get my daughters from the clutches of their boiMother. Other than that... not much. Debt, loss of property, home, job... yeh It pretty much has taped me completly out on to the street.
Finally the courts are starting to seee how she lies and been making them look lkike fools
I will prevail someway.
So how has the rest been?

--------------------

Posts: 1471 | From: Central Valley in California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 11-11-2003 01:09 PM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 20 20:
But...

But...

You're in IOWA!!

You know, it really isn't thaaaat bad

The only thing I really miss is the big city life... you know, having more than 2 shopping malls within 100 miles, a decent movie theatre and some choice in drinking establishment style. Other than that it's not too bad

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Fuze
Sarge
Member # 45

Rate Member

posted 11-11-2003 01:30 PM     Profile for Fuze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm....
got to meet a few of the community IRL.
sweet.

Bagged a moose
played with my shlong
looked at the picture of Steph
played with my shlong again

--------------------

Wanker Extrodinare

Posts: 1350 | From: British Columbia (not England or South America) | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RaverBoy
Sarge
Member # 119

Rate Member

posted 11-12-2003 09:35 AM     Profile for RaverBoy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
drako: The 3d stuff is my hobby project thing. My dayjob involves building a "platform".

--------------------

No more annoying sig! =D

Anonymous
Visor
Member # 2489

posted 11-13-2003 02:55 AM     Profile for Anonymous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grew up a little. Posted this: http://www.q3arena.com/resources/UltimateBB/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=005652. Got nostalgic.
burble
Sarge
Member # 1190

Member Rated:

posted 11-14-2003 12:48 AM     Profile for burble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
been going to school. i graduate in may. i'll probably be going on to an engineering major at tennessee tech.

otherwise, i've just been surfing the net a little, playing my xbox, a little guitar, and working on my cars. the skylark's suspension is back together after being overhauled (poly bushings, stiffer springs, and big swaybars), but due to ignition troubles i have not had it back up and running yet. i bought an 87 cougar xr7 for $300, and am going to use its drivetrain to put in my '82 mustang (the I6 is on its last legs).

uh...not much else.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited by: burble ]

Posts: 528 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2003 09:00 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Traveling the world.
In the UK:
London
Winchester
Bath
Cardiff
Chester
Lake District
Liverpool
Blackpool
Glasgow
Inverness
Edinburgh
Newcastle
York
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Penzance

Germany:
Berlin (Placed 12 in the German YOYO Masters while I was there)
Munich
Frankfurt
Rhine Valley

France
Paris

Denmark
Copenhagen

Making my way up to Sweden (I'll be seeing Rvr in the next few days), Finland, Norway area. Then I have friends to meet back down in Austria by the 16th or 17th. I met them through yoyoing (juggler types). After that we're driving down to the Italian YoYo Championships on the 20th (down by Venice).

After Italy it's back up to Paris to meet some friends from home, then southern france, the rest of italy, Athens (I hope), and Spain.

I return home on January 28th

It's all chronicled (shameless plug) at my website: http://www.swashedbuckles.org

I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but as of late I've sort of been styling myself as the Jack London/Jack Keroac/Robert Louis Stevenson/Ernest Hemmingway type, the travelling author. I love writing, but I also love math and physics. It's a tough choice. It's likely I'll probably take the easy choice, and just do them all.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2003 09:18 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also have this strange urge to become a street performer, so I'm learning Diabolo, and Juggling, and Poi, and all sorts of other neat stuff. Yoyoing kicks ass.

Last year I graduated from High school, worked all summer, and started on my trip in the fall. Don't know where I'm going to college, likely Wayne State University, and part time at that so I can keep traveling. Kinda got a full blown wanderlust going here. With anyluck I'll be touring the US this summer (The big Q3Arena.com meetup comes to mind ;-D).

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-09-2003 04:14 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Paris is awesome, I can't wait to come back when it's worm."

Scooby condider this a warning! Do NOT go back to Paris when it's worm is out.

Actually I enjoyed reading/seeing your chronicles.

Say hi to rvr for me and have fun.

--------------------

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 12-09-2003 04:17 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow you ran into Jack Black while in the UK?

Sweet.

--------------------

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 12-09-2003 07:50 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, glad to hear you are living scoobz!

F school, keep looking for yourself...

Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 12-09-2003 10:23 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Boy Scooby have you ever changed since I last saw a pic of you.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2003 10:44 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL, I think your signature sums it up
I'm actually kind of fond of this picture:

Paris is really spooky underground.

Copenhagen's a nice city. There's not a whole lot of sightseeing here, but as cities go, it's one of my favorite. Everyone bikes here, quite different from Detroit back home. It's not unusual to see what would be a parkinglot filled with bikes.

Hell, I'm still getting used to public transportation. Never had it back home. Sure, there are buses, but they're so dirty you don't want to look at them, let alone touch them. And whatever else there _was_, the car companies bought and shut down. Oh well

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 12-10-2003 11:31 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanted to encourage those of you who can afford it to paypal scooby some chump change thru his link on his website:
http://www.swashedbuckles.org

...as he said $ goes a long way when traveling.

I am not one to EVER donate money to anything but this is a good exception.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-10-2003 12:14 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, thanks for the plug
If you're intersted, a typical budget for the day goes like this:

€10-20 for hostel bed
€10-15 for food (depending of if i eat breakfast/lunch or not. a lot of times breakfast buffets come with the hostel bed)
€15-20 for anything else (admissions, souvineers, etc.)

I try to limit myself to €50 a day. Especially now that I'm towards the end of my trip and have bought too many souvineers

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 12-10-2003 02:20 PM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the fuck is a "€"?
Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 12-11-2003 10:35 PM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some stupid European currency.

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 12-13-2003 10:26 AM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, it's really cold in Finland. And the sun sets at 3pm or so; that's just not right. Rvr's a cool fellow.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com