next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Finally time

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally time
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-01-2003 03:57 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to upgrade my system. I expect delivery next week.

P4 2.8 Ghz, 1024 Mb RAM, 128 Mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

A weeny bit better than my current setup...

P2 450 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM, 16 Mb Riva TnT

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-01-2003 08:44 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the hell are you going to do with the gig of ram? What OS?

About time for an upgrade though...

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 10-01-2003 10:08 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If I'm not mistaken, isn't your P2 box a dell? I remember when you got it. I was going to get a dell around that same time to replace the packard bell p233(which was my entrance into the home computering world) But jondster and others convinced me to get the 300a@450 route instead, which led to me tinkering with computers so much that in the time you've stayed with that P2 450/tnt setup I've went thru:

the 300a
then the 366@550 with tnt2 ultra
then a P3 750
replaced tnt2 ultra with geforce 2 gts
then went with a t-bird 1.4 with geforce 3 ti
then a P4 2.0 with geforce 4 ti4200 and a xp 1900 with the geforce 3
then a 2500 XP to replace the xp 1900 with a radeon 9600 pro to replace the geforce 4
got a 50 buck nforce board and slapped xp 1900 into it for daughter's pc.

So now I have 3 pcs at home networked all because jondster and the gang talked me into building my own. In fact, I cannot imagine buying a prebuilt box now and 3-4 yrs ago I could not imagine building one, heh.

Is the P4 a dell also? Your games are gonna smooooooth.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 10-01-2003 11:39 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
cac...a gig of ram is by no means overkill. take a look at your system...i bet it sitting at the desktop, unless you have absolutely nothing running, it will probably have about 125-250MB of ram committed to certain processes. Now take into account the abhorant inefficiencies in windows and its memory management (WinNT/2k/Xp is better than 9x....but it still sucks) and then take into account the fact the way windows does NOT always utilize your ram before jumping to the much slower swap (one registry setting can change all that...and the more ram the merrier!!! ) couple that with the possibility that if you do any sort of gaming then BOOM....dynamic processing and a lot of memory being used there too. Do any rendering, ripping or encoding? again....memory requirements go up further. Hell, I have run out of memory just raping the newsgroups at 1MB a second for an hour or two (and I had a gig in that machine at the time). Besides, for the price of RAM, why the fuck not? I find it hilarious this question was posed by a muscle car lover when a pinto will get him from A to B just the same

I remember Bill Gates said 640k would be enough for anybody...hmmm....nothing above conventional. Those were the days eh?

Never bought a pre-built...never will. If I do, it will only be for the parts (sure as hell not the motherboard) and the software (since ya can't beat that side of the deal).

Congrats on the system Riv...sure you will love it. I am waiting until next year though...PCIX with a shiny new NV40...MWAHAHA AGP8X CRUSHER!!! mwahaha

[ 10-01-2003: Message edited by: Snag ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-02-2003 03:35 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac~
I think Snag basically covered it...Say it loud..You can never have enough (or too much) ram! Seriously, though....for gaming, rendering when tinkering with different graphic-programs, etc. ram is a good thing. I also expect the ram-requirements for many games will rise in the future and like to get a 'head start'. I'll run XP btw.

Outtie~
Man! Good memory! I got it around Christmas of 98' if I remember correctly and yes - it's the Dell. Lol@all the different setups you've been through....almost makes me glad I waited instead (remember...computers and parts are more expensive here )
And yes - the p4 is a Dell as well. Never had any trouble whatsoever with the old one, so I figured - 'why not'. I expect to format and configure it 'my way' when I get it anyway Atleast I 'should' be set for Doom 3, right?

We need to get some gamingsessions going again!

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 10-02-2003 09:38 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Riv~ RAM is good. How much $ does a new rig cost these days?
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-02-2003 02:05 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember this is an "all-included system", cause it might seem expensive... =)

2140$

However...that includes an 80Gig Harddrive, a 17 inch monitor, a 48x CD-RW/DVD COMBO, Soundblaster Live, Altec Lansing 745 Speakers, optical mouse...etc.

And..I'm buying it through work, meaning I won't have to pay taxes, reducing the price to about 1714$.

Still rather expensive when compared to U.S. prices, though....

[edit] Oh, and one more thing. By buying through work, and having the amount drawn directly from my salary, I'll end up paying less income-tax...so in reality it'll end up even cheaper...But still expensive....[/edit]

[ 10-02-2003: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2003 07:38 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like a nice setup. Is the 17" flatscreen or CRT?
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2003 10:36 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CRT - I really have no use for it, since I already have a 17 inch and a 19 inch, but you can't buy that model without a screen. I'm thinking of giving it to my brother....(or perhaps giving my old 17 inch to my brother)
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2003 05:36 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No offense, I personally think you're getting ripped at that price, but that's just my opinion.
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 10-03-2003 11:00 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dude....remember where he is from.

and employee purchase programs/interest free employee computer loans are cool. Most companies here are doing away with them now since a computer might no longer be seen as a "major" investment and most people began to not use them anyway.

[ 10-03-2003: Message edited by: Snag ]

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-05-2003 06:16 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey nice rig!

You gotta give us some benchmarks!
Q3 Full Graphics
3D Mark (Mad Onion)

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-05-2003 11:27 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never said a gig of ram is too much. I just wondered what he was going to use it for...rendering or whatever.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-06-2003 01:35 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GFKiller:
No offense, I personally think you're getting ripped at that price, but that's just my opinion.

I think I'm being ripped at that price, but those are the prices over here...

Cac~
It will mostly been used for gaming, although I have been fooling around with photoshop and bryce from time to time.

I'll get to those benchmarks...

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-06-2003 04:36 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot about the fact that you live out there, my bad.

U should of responded quicker to my post about the parts im selling. If grumpy falls through, I believe you are the next in line. I just gotta double check that though.

Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 10-06-2003 08:40 PM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
[QB]of QB]

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-07-2003 03:57 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
I forgot about the fact that you live out there, my bad.

U should of responded quicker to my post about the parts im selling. If grumpy falls through, I believe you are the next in line. I just gotta double check that though.

Nah...no worries...I wouldn't know how to install those parts anyways...
(that's one of the things I never bothered learning..)

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-07-2003 12:40 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's not like it's hard. It's actually a very rewarding feeling.
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-10-2003 09:22 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Still awaiting those Benchies!!!!!

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-11-2003 06:20 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh...I've never really done this before...

Guide me to the programs and games I should test, please

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-14-2003 02:41 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.madonion.com

Look for 3DMark2002

Quake 3...damn it's been a while...
timedemo 1
demo demo001
type those into the console.

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-14-2003 03:50 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You mean I have to reinstall that game...?

Oh well...we'll see if I can't please you this weekend...

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2003 04:17 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I downloaded 3DMark2003... scored 1618!!! OUCH

--------------------

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2003 10:40 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
do you have a DX9 based card? They (Madonion) suggests only using '03 if you do. Otherwise you might say ouch when it isn't warranted.
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2003 02:09 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea that's about a right score for gf4
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2003 02:12 PM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With a barton 2500 and a 9600 pro o/c'd 500/350 I get just a bit over 4000 score. I bet Riv will hit mid 5000 or so.
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-16-2003 05:45 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My System Specs that would affect the outcome:
GF4 Ti4600
AMD Athlon 1700+ XP
512 Megs DDR 266MHz
Direct X 9.0B
Win XP Pro

--------------------

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-16-2003 08:40 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How fast do you do your SETI work units? Mine take 3 hours 47 minutes on average.

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2003 11:11 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't really clocked them, but it seems they take from around 2 hours to around 3 hours and 40 mins.....
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2003 02:23 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
omg...who even does SETI anymore?
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2003 09:27 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Me: http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=ealexa@hotmail.com&cmd=user_stats_new

And us: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_94799.html

TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2003 10:31 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OOOOOHHHHH yeah... that's me on top

Me ( http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=jamieh@interchange.ubc.ca&cmd=user_stats_new ) :
Your rank out of 4715969 total users is: 26698th place.
The number of users who have this rank: 3
You have completed more work units than 99.434% of our users.

Riv:
Your rank out of 4715969 total users is: 97966th place.
The number of users who have this rank: 56
You have completed more work units than 97.922% of our users.

I always wonder if I'm moving up or down in place...

[ 10-17-2003: Message edited by: TheKiller ]

--------------------

Headstone
Sarge
Member # 3014

Rate Member

posted 10-22-2003 02:18 AM     Profile for Headstone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and me coming on strong with my new system.

I finally upgraded myself.
Now running this

--------------------

Yep it really is me.

Posts: 308 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com