Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » So Who has gone the Torvalds route

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So Who has gone the Torvalds route
god
Sarge
Member # 52

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2003 10:19 PM     Profile for god   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've mostly switched to using Linux as my preference in OS. It's mostly because I've been programming in C++ without using visual studio.NET

If you know what your doing with linux there is crazy amounts of customizations that are actually useful. Such as the multiple desktops which i find extremely cool.

The version I use is more like Unix however I have used Redhat and mandrake and find them pretty impressive. What I am using is called Enlightenment which is extremely customizable and meets my needs to a T.

Posts: 260 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 04-22-2003 10:36 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: Devastator ]

--------------------

Posts: 944 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
god
Sarge
Member # 52

Member Rated:

posted 04-22-2003 11:11 PM     Profile for god   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: god ]

Posts: 260 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2003 02:15 AM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like red hat, myself. with what they've built, I would be comfortable running linux for my parents.

no, strike that. With most modern linux distributions, I would be comfortable running it for them. With anaconda and blue curve, I think they would be able to run it for themselves.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2003 04:24 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I've played around with Slackware ages ago and more recently with RH7.2.

The RH installation was a breeze and it was very easy to setup, it's just that finding up to date information on linux was kinda hard for me. Yes, I found a lot of information, some recent, most anchient and as soon as you venture out of the normal newbie tutorials you are pretty much on your own.

Oh and is it just me or does RH kinda seem bloated or what?

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 04-23-2003 07:35 AM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2003 08:35 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(hi Dev)
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
god
Sarge
Member # 52

Member Rated:

posted 04-23-2003 01:43 PM     Profile for god   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: god ]

Devastator
Sarge
Member # 1666

Rate Member

posted 04-23-2003 05:34 PM     Profile for Devastator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com