Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Iraqis Celebrate As U.S. Takes Baghdad

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iraqis Celebrate As U.S. Takes Baghdad
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 02:29 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In Iraq:
In the most visible sign of Saddam's evaporating power, the 40-foot statue of the Iraqi president was brought down in the middle of Firdos Square. Cheering Iraqis, some waving the national flag, scaled the statue and danced upon the downed icon, now lying face down. As it fell, some threw shoes and slippers at the statue — a gross insult in the Arab world.

Propaganda take from:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030409/ap_on_re_mi_ea/war_rdp_1026&cid=540&e=1

Locally:
We are seeing celebrating by Iraqis here in Michigan as well. Dearborn, Michigan has one of the largest (if not the largest) Arabic-speaking populations in the United States including many people from Iraq. The local news stations in Detroit are covering the celebrations. I admit the people in Dearborn are technically Americans, however they do have their heritage.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 02:36 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Wonder why that Iraqi isn't kissing a picture of Chirac, or Putin?

Or Lindi, or Rivendell...

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: 20 20 ]

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 03:58 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bush looks disturbed in that photo.

I almost forgot about all the 'bonus' looting going on in Baghdad:

"Iraqis are thrilled with new furniture and other home accessories from local Baghdad stores that are conducting some highly unusual going out of business 'free' to the public sales."

--------------------

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-09-2003 04:11 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looting is a great way to vent 30 years of fear. I don't know what a family who lives in a clay hut is going to do with a 5000lb air conditioner but I say GO NUTS PEOPLE!!! I wish I could get a hold of some of that nice tile in Saddams mansions. I wonder who is going to win the bid on that?

*Cy puts an American flag over a mini Saddam voodoo doll statue in private for our marines* It is ok to cheer in private.

All the war protesting (Bush hating) fools are going to eat it, you just watch!

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 04:44 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 20 20:

Wonder why that Iraqi isn't kissing a picture of Chirac, or Putin?

Or Lindi, or Rivendell...

Me too...he should definately be kissing a picture of me!

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 07:32 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually the celebrating in Iraq means very little. If people that had been bombing you for days came marching into your city with tanks and guns and mega force? You'd welcome them and hope like hell they didn't do the same thing to you they've been doing to your city for the last 2 weeks. Everyone is the same way--that's why Savannah's still standing today and wasn't burnt to the ground in the Civil War. It's the survival instinct.

--------------------

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 04-09-2003 08:05 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gotta disagree with you there, cac. These people hated Saddam. Were brutalized by Saddam. WANTED Saddam to be overthrown. Now, maybe I've just listened to too much pro-war propoganda, but I don't think so. To compare Iraq to Savannah is comparing apples to oranges.
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-09-2003 10:24 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with 40. The people who now live in the US (who fled from Iraq) all have stories of family members being killed or raped. I would even cheer "The Great Satan" if he was saving my family from that.
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2003 12:54 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not saying you're wrong here, 40 or Cy...It may very well be true-felt cheering that Saddam is finally gone. However...Cac is right. It is the logical thing to do if you're a citizen of Baghdad....root for the winners.
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2003 01:49 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I'd rather have the Iraq equivalent of Duce Biggolow kissing the picture of Bush than me.

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: Lindi ]

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2003 02:38 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just thought I should mention that I do believe the cheering is sincere, btw...
D2
Sarge
Member # 91

Rate Member

posted 04-10-2003 10:46 AM     Profile for D2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good points on all accounts. Those that know me, know how Pro troops and Bush that I am. I do however must not over look the obvious. Those people have live in fear for 25 years. Thats a lot of brainwashing.

HOWEVER, that being said, they will come around within weeks once it is clear we are there to help them build their country back for the Iraq's

--------------------

Posts: 1471 | From: Central Valley in California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2003 10:51 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lindi:
Yes, I'd rather have the Iraq equivalent of Duce Biggolow kissing the picture of Bush than me.

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: Lindi ]

LOL@ Deuce!! That was funny!

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 04-10-2003 07:49 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
40 (Cy too) I was just pointing out another way to look at it. I tend to believe that for the most part they are happy about what is going on there.

I have been supporting this war all along.

What I'm wondering though is who should we attack next?

Saudi Arabia?
North Korea?
Venezuela?
Columbia?
Iran?
Zimbabwe?
Ethiopia?
Haiti?
Panama?
Egypt?
The Philippines?
France?
Canada?

j/k

--------------------

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 04-14-2003 08:10 AM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Next ??? That little fuckwad over in North Korea's been pretty quiet lately. Maybe he watches CNN or FOX, and has been taking notes on what he saw.

Next ? I'd think we'll probably get this shit over with, regroup, figure out what (if any) things need to be fixed or improved on our weapons, then turn to N. Korea and say:

"Want Some ?"

--------------------

No Sig

Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 04-14-2003 10:50 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Attack North Korea? Why?
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/73299.htm

They're whipped already.

Now Canada... yeah. If we're only fighting for oil, I say we hit Canada next.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-14-2003 11:25 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's a small step but Syria is next in the assimilate or die blitzkrieg.
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 04-15-2003 03:14 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not likely...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,937105,00.html

quote:
Bush vetoes Syria war plan

Atleast I hope they're not that stupid.

[ 04-15-2003: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 04-15-2003 11:39 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We wouldn't want to raise the fear level any more. Smart move by Bush, sometimes a threat is all that is needed.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com