Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » I really dunno....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I really dunno....
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-22-2003 08:36 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The war seems to be dragging on. We are past 48 hrs and no definite proof of saddam being killed/surrendering yet.

People are still protesting, around the world and also in the US.

My symphaties to the killed US and British soldiers killed in Irag, as well as the Iraq CIVILIAN cassualties in Baghdad.

P.S. Still no Chemical or nuckes deplaoyed by the enemy.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-22-2003 08:39 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
..CNN is all I get regretably BTW.
MadHatter
Sarge
Member # 158

Member Rated:

posted 03-22-2003 11:39 PM     Profile for MadHatter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
The war seems to be dragging on

i never pictured war as something that happens quickly.

its been like 4 days, the world wasnt even created in 4 days.

--------------------

It's a crazy world. Someone oughta sell tickets.

Posts: 1601 | From: that warm little part of your heart | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2003 12:40 PM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was believed by some that this conflict would be over in just a couple of days. The hope was that the Iraqis would just all surrender (Republican Guard excluded) but that hasn't been the case.

What disappoints me the most is this stat I got from CNN.

23 coalition casualties:
1 - US Soldier responsible
2 - combat victims
20 - ACCIDENTS

--------------------

(_*_)

Posts: 163 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2003 01:18 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Casualties/mistakes are normal IMO.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2003 01:43 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know that those numbers are incorrect, right?
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2003 05:33 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cacophonous:
Casualties/mistakes are normal IMO.

Considering the sheer number of soldiers in a relatively small area, accidents are bound to happen.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-23-2003 05:39 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter:
i never pictured war as something that happens quickly.

its been like 4 days, the world wasnt even created in 4 days.

Nope, but a long war is going to have a very bad effect on the economy and perhaps even lessen the popularity of the whole campain.

Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 03-23-2003 06:44 PM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
You know that those numbers are incorrect, right?

In what respect are they incorrect? At the time that I read the report they were right but I've not yet figured out how to post a dynamic message here that updates along with the casualties. Also, what makes you think that I would post a message that I knew to be incorrect?

For me there is a difference between killed in combat and an accident. These guys train, train, train and although accidents are not completely avoidable we shouldn't be crashing helicopters into each other and shooting down our own planes with patriot missiles. But, at the end of the day, the breakdown of the numbers is not important, I agree with that.

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: Max ]

--------------------

(_*_)

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-23-2003 06:58 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I might be wrong, but I think what Riv meant was that the suits up there are never going to give us the correct numbers.

We hear about the things that 'they' think we should know. We won't hear certain information because we aren't supposed to know. Some of that might be information about special forces soldiers who might have been killed doing their secret business.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 01:12 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Something like that, yes...

Propaganda works both ways.
I should have stated that they were probably incorrect, though...

And it is a shame with accidental casulties.

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: Rivendell ]

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 08:37 AM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lindi:
Nope, but a long war is going to have a very bad effect on the economy and perhaps even lessen the popularity of the whole campain.

How so? The Stock Market has gone UP over a thousand points since the start of the War...

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 09:10 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't really taken a stand on this issue, but a little comment is in order.

The Stock Market went up last week with expectations of a short war - true.

However - the stock market has been falling all over Europe today as the Iraqi forces seem to offer more resistance than anticipated - in fear of a longer conflict.

In other words...Lindi may be right.

Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 03-24-2003 09:29 AM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I see what you mean now but the point I was trying to make was the ratio of soldiers killed in combat vs accidents. We'll never know the true count as men and women die in covert missions that the government will deny even took place.

--------------------

(_*_)

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 09:33 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In that case, I agree...
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:14 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"How so? The Stock Market has gone UP over a thousand points since the start of the War..."

O - You must be joking. Well not joking about the stock market going up but you can't seriously think that this war will help our economy in the long run.

--------------------

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:57 AM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cac~ Have you looked at the history of the Stock Market? WW2 was the ONLY thing that dragged us out of the Great Depression.

The markets went bullish throughout the Civil War. http://www.journal-topics.com/columns/thisway030319.html

The market went up as well during the first Gulf War...

Why shouldn't we believe it will do it again?

Here is a link that shows you monthly summaries of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, by month...
http://table.finance.yahoo.com/d?a=1&b=1&c=1990&d=1&e=14&f=2002&g=m&s=djia

Remember, the first Gulf War really started on August 2, 1990 when Hussein invaded Kuwait. Here is the timeline for the first Gulf War. Remember that it ran through February of 1991: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gulfguide/gwtimeline.html

So, the DOW started at 2,614.40 in August, 1990. It ended at 2,882.20 in February of 1991. Up over 10%.

How am I wrong in this?

O

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: Oicu812 ]

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 04:41 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/24/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

quote:
War selling clobbers stocks

Dow sees worst session in about 6 months on bets that victory in Iraq will be tougher than expected.
March 24, 2003: 4:06 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The Dow suffered its worst one-day selloff in almost six months Monday as investors ditched stocks on signs that the war with Iraq will be longer and more devastating than had been anticipated.

According to preliminary reports, the Dow Jones industrial average (down 307.29 to 8214.68, Charts) tumbled 3.5 percent or more than 300 points, its worst drop on both a point and a percentage basis since late September. The Nasdaq composite (down 52.06 to 1369.78, Charts), and the S&P 500 index (down 31.67 to 864.23, Charts) also dropped 3.5 percent each.

Monday's selloff followed one of Wall Street's strongest rallies in years. With a gain of 8.4 percent last week, the Dow industrials had their best weekly advance since 1982. The average had climbed nearly 1,000 points during the previous eight trading sessions, or 13.3 percent.

But the war euphoria came to an abrupt halt Monday, when traders returned to their desks after a weekend of watching footage of tough battles and reports of U.S. casualties and the capture of U.S. soldiers.

Market breadth was thoroughly negative on heavy volume. On both the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq, three stocks fell for every one that rose. About 1.27 billion shares traded on the NYSE and some 1.31 billion shares changed hands on the Nasdaq.

Here's a look at market action late in the session.

Sharp rally ends abruptly
Despite little factual evidence on its side, Wall Street had placed heavy bets that the war would be short and swift, bolstered by rumors that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was either injured or dead as a result of U.S. air strikes on Baghdad. (For the latest war developments, go to CNN.com.)

The news over the weekend and Monday, including an appearance by a defiant Hussein on Iraqi television, indicated otherwise and the selling that came to the stock market was punishing.

"The events of the weekend changed market psychology and people are using that as an opportunity to take profits after the huge rally," said Peter Cardillo, director of research at Global Partners Securities. "Markets had rallied on the certainty of war and on the belief that it would be quick and with few casualties. But we're seeing that's not the case. The breaking down of the Iraqi army that was talked about in the first few days was clearly overstated."

All 30 of the blue chips on the Dow fell by at least 1 percent. Disney (DIS: down $1.34 to $17.40, Research, Estimates) was the biggest loser after a drop of 6 percent, despite being a big winner at the Oscars Sunday night. Altria Group (MO: down $1.45 to $33.59, Research, Estimates) lost 4 percent after a judge ruled that its Philip Morris unit deceived consumers into believing "light" cigarettes were healthier than regular cigarettes and must now pay more than $10 billion in damages.

Wal-Mart (WMT: down $2.15 to $52.52, Research, Estimates), which reiterated its estimates for sales in March despite a slowdown over the weekend as consumers stayed home to watch the latest war news, declined almost 3 percent.

The stock market selling drove investors back to the perceived safety of U.S. Treasury bonds, which rallied sharply. The benchmark 10-year note climbed 1-3/32 points in price, its yield retreating to 3.96 percent. The dollar fell modestly against both the euro and the yen.

Oil prices soared on the prospect of a longer Middle East war, with light sweet crude futures gaining $1.69 to $28.60 a barrel in New York. The price of oil had dropped over the last week and a half while stocks were rallying. This trend reversed Monday with oil and energy stocks, including Schlumberger (SLB: down $0.87 to $38.05, Research, Estimates) and Exxon Mobil (XOM: down $0.69 to $35.31, Research, Estimates), taking a hit.

Gold rallied $3.40 to $329.50 an ounce in New York after having fallen in the flight to equities. Gold stocks surged, with Durban Deep (DROOY: up $0.08 to $2.41, Research, Estimates) up 6 percent and Kinross Gold (KGC: up $0.01 to $5.29, Research, Estimates) up 5 percent.

Overseas stock markets were mixed to lower, with European stocks falling sharply by the close and Asian markets closing mixed overnight.

Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 04:57 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
O - Honestly I don't think it's the same today as it was back then. Most experts that I have talked to IRL differ with your logic.

It for sure will be 'bad' long before it becomes 'good'. I'm not young enough to wait for our economy to go full circle.

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 05:13 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any thoughts on spending approximately two times the Finnish GNP on this war, that's without humanitarian aid or taking into consideration the long time economical effects of the war? All the while the goverment is making cutbacks in health care and social services?
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:05 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any thoughts on the cost to innocent civilians in Iraq with an uncheck Sadam? Say, 5000 civilian deaths (hopefully a rather high estimate) in the war, 5000 per year by Sadams regime, so after 5 years 5000 deaths with war, 25000 without. Hmmmmm...

(I believe the 5000 per year is a reliable figure, but don't ask me for links right now, I used to have them but not anymore.)

No, that's not the only reason for the war, but it's a damn good one.

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:11 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any other country want to pitch in to help those civilians? Anyone? England! How about you? Oh, wait, you already are. Hmmmm... Poland! Oh... You too. Australia? Nope, doing your part... Hmmmmm...

I know!! FINLAND!! Here's the bucket, drop a few Markkaa's right in!

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:13 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna get in trouble for that joke, I just know it!
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 03-24-2003 10:29 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You wild man and your jokes!

--------------------

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2003 02:43 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 20 20:
Any other country want to pitch in to help those civilians? Anyone? England! How about you? Oh, wait, you already are. Hmmmm... Poland! Oh... You too. Australia? Nope, doing your part... Hmmmmm...

I know!! FINLAND!! Here's the bucket, drop a few Markkaa's right in!

Um, it's €uros these day, y´know?

Oh and the Redcross of Finland is participating all the time, for example they are going to send a state of the art field hospital to the refugee camps.

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2003 02:54 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 20 20:
Any thoughts on the cost to innocent civilians in Iraq with an uncheck Sadam? Say, 5000 civilian deaths (hopefully a rather high estimate) in the war, 5000 per year by Sadams regime, so after 5 years 5000 deaths with war, 25000 without. Hmmmmm...

(I believe the 5000 per year is a reliable figure, but don't ask me for links right now, I used to have them but not anymore.)

No, that's not the only reason for the war, but it's a damn good one.

You know nobody here is going to put a price tag on a human life.

...and I'm not going to flogg the dead horse about what I believe are the true motives for this war. I believe one thing and you another.

Max
Sarge
Member # 2754

Rate Member

posted 03-25-2003 09:13 AM     Profile for Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyone? England! How about you? Oh, wait, you already are.

It astounds me that in this day and age people still get confused between England and the UK. It's not that hard to get right.

--------------------

(_*_)

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 03-25-2003 10:09 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While not technically correct, it's easy 'over here' to just lump everything 'over there' as 'England'. It's not meant as a slight.

One thing I'm ignorant on (among many things), what is 'Briton', in relationship to 'England', and the 'U.K.'? I've always assumed it was the same as England, is it?

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com