Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Gangs of New York (review) no spoilers

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gangs of New York (review) no spoilers
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-10-2003 10:17 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All I can say is a great film. Although it was 160 mintues it was very interesting and kept your attention.

Has anyone seen it? Liked it?

Go see it.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 02-10-2003 10:30 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate that "Titanic" what's his face fella.
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-10-2003 06:05 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leonardo Di Caprio. I couldn't give a damn what he's been in before - yeah he was in Titanic which was all mushy and all the chicks seem to love him but I think he can be a great actor sometimes, especially in the Basketball Diaries and in parts of the Beach.

I haven't seen Gangs of New York yet but I want to. I really want to see Daniel Day-Lewis in that top hat and moustache - his character oozes cool.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scooby
Sarge
Member # 329

Rate Member

posted 02-10-2003 08:01 PM     Profile for Scooby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I disagree, I thought the film sucked.
Much of the acting was great, I'll agree, but the pacing was just horrible. It felt like four hours instead of three. Almost like there was a great burst of action, then a half hour to 45-minute lull, then more action, rinse, repeat. The movie could have been much better with about 30-45min cut out.

Posts: 2802 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-10-2003 08:18 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well you may have not enjoyed the film but it far from sucked.

Red - Daniel Day-Lewis rocks in this flick.

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Cacophonous ]

--------------------

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2003 08:08 AM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Leonardo did a good job in the movie "Catch me if you can", the story about the greatest con artist the world has ever seen (other than Michael Jackson)...

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2003 09:22 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The blood stays on the blade"
Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
dAm
Sarge
Member # 2600

Member Rated:

posted 02-11-2003 10:16 AM     Profile for dAm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw a sneak preview of it awhile back right before it was released. One of the best movies I've seen in a long long time. I won the tickets from one of our newspaper giveaways and they had the critic there before showtime and he told us a bit about it. It's based on a true story. I think the directors great grandfather or something was there. I think the riot still holds the record as the biggest and longest riot in US history.
quote:
For five days, from Monday, July 13, until Friday, July 17, 1863, terror reigned in the streets of New York. Armed mobs protesting the first Federal conscription threatened the nation's manufacturing and commercial center. What began as a demonstration against the draft and Abraham Lincoln's Republican administration rapidly degenerated into bloody race riots that left at least 105 people dead. The New York City Draft Riots were by far the most violent civil disorder in 19th-century America. The widespread destruction threatened the very foundations of the Union.

More about them here and here.

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: dAm ]

--------------------

Shut-up and fish

Posts: 577 | From: Calgary | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-16-2003 07:49 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you dAm -great fucking movie.

It's up for 10 or more Academy awards...

--------------------

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 02-18-2003 07:05 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just saw it last night. I don't know all the real history so the huge riots at the end were a little confusing and I don't think they quite captured the scale of the riots, or even the city for that matter.

But Daniel Day-Lewis should be given every acting award ever made - he was incredible.

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com