next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Problems With DX8 and Q3A

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems With DX8 and Q3A
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 01-24-2001 11:49 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well ain't this a bitch.

I just clean formatted my computer and reinstalled everything. When I finally got around to Q3A, I installed it full then installed the latest patch 1.27g before running it. Took my time, changed all settings before playing. When I finally jumped in the game and tried to fire my weapon, Q3A crashes with a GPF. This continued to happen.

I began my trouble shooting. I reverted my O/Ced Celeron back to 300, still crashes. Tried different drivers for my TNT2, still crashes. Reinstalled Q3A and have it running on it's original version, 1.11 and it's still crashing. My only guess is DX8 is the culprit since it seems like a input problem.

Something is throwing me off track though. I'm able to move around and everything with no problems. As soon as I fire my weapon Q3A crashes. After a while of moving around without firing a weapon, Q3A crashes anyways in reference to one of my video drivers.

Anyone have any ideas or ran into similiar problems?

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 02:29 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uhm, you are using Windows aren't you? Ever consider THAT to be the problem GFK?
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 03:07 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Seems quite strange...

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you. I would however like to play you sometime, since you can't fire any guns!

------------------
Spell checks? SPELL CHECKS? we don't need no stinking Spell Checks.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 03:11 AM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You using the Detonator drivers GFK or your manufactures chop shop drivers?
Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 03:12 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try it with the default q3arena.cfg first, just to make sure.., just humour me?

I trust you've checked for IRQ confflicts and other such stuff. I've also heard that going back to DX7 requires a reformat...

------------------

outrider
Sarge
Member # 41

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 08:12 AM     Profile for outrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My machine sounds very similar to yours. I tried dx8 and it worked ok, but seemed to make my game hitch some. I was on the 1.27 patch with the 6.31 det drivers.

Still, the game didn't seem to run as good as it did with dx7 so I went back to it. Luckily I had made a restore disc that had dx7 on it.

Posts: 2426 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 09:49 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard of dx8 problems with q3a, so you're not alone. From what I understand, you can't go back to dx7. Unless you reinstall windows. Ugh.
xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 11:05 AM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why dont you people just play Quake2 with me
Posts: 1051 | From: US | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 11:17 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, for me, I just like Q3 better.
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 01-25-2001 04:52 PM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love Quake2 Xanthan. I should throw up a server...

Sorry to here that GFKiller and thanks for the warning. I aint touchin" nuttin"

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 05:31 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, I am using the Detonator drivers.

You think anyone at id would care to hear about this problem?

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 10:01 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GFK ~ It wouldnt hurt to email them.

Cy ~ Rad

Posts: 1051 | From: US | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 01-25-2001 11:17 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Were you running DX8 before the format?
Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gladiator
Sarge
Member # 2271

Rate Member

posted 01-26-2001 11:31 PM     Profile for Gladiator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GF, I recently went on a rampage due to my 127 problems, but I found out that ID does not handle these problems, Activision does the tech support for Quake3, go to www.activision.com and find the Quake3 troubleshooting section. It has a lot of information. If you can't find your problem there, e-mail them. They have an extremely eager staff, when i e-mailed them, I got four different people wanting to solve my problem.
Posts: 99 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 01-27-2001 02:42 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It doesn't matter, I reformatted and reinstalled everything (except DX8) and all is well now.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2001 04:08 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GFK ~ Let's take a rainchque on the game then, if you are able to fire again, that is.

------------------

GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 01-29-2001 06:36 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm ready, willing, and able now (although my net connect still sucks, gotta get DSL)

I'm running 1.27g

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com