Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » g'dam might fine.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: g'dam might fine.
Wolfie
Sarge
Member # 1698

Member Rated:

posted 10-23-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for Wolfie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
32MB Floppies By Feb 2001
Mike Seiler 10/23/2000 5:34:45 PM ATL Hardware

That's right, it's time for those old floppy disks and drives to get a long-overdue facelift. Matsushita-Kotobuki has created a new 32MB disk based on the old 1.44MB floppies, which they will be selling along with their new 240MB and 120MB drives that support them. Here's some snippage from the full article:

Matsushita-Kotobuki has developed a way of boosting the capacity of a standard 1.44MB floppy to 32MB.

The FD32MB technology will be used in conjunction with the company's 240MB "super disk drive", currently in development.

By using the super disk magnetic head for data writing and a conventional magnetic head for reading, the density of each track of data will be increased, the company says. This "super disk drive" allows more data tracks to be formatted on the disk, and thus more data can be stored.
http://www.glideunderground.com/#9641

geeeeehhhhhh'damn.

Posts: 786 | From: Cold place that rains all the time | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 10-23-2000 06:45 PM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So....will I be able to use all the 1.44mb floppies that I already have and reformat them to 32mb?

------------------
...TheKiller

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-24-2000 12:59 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[Grandpa Simpson]They Floppy Disk is a Tool of the Devil[/Grandpa Simpson]

More importantly why have they decided to upgrade obsolete technology. Who would use a 32MB formatted floppy disk for data storage if they can get their hands on a 120MB or 240MB disk which capability for greater much greater storage capacity.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AcidWarp (edited 10-24-2000).]

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cyborg6
Sarge
Member # 1382

posted 10-24-2000 05:37 AM     Profile for Cyborg6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehe Wolfie is a geek!
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 10-24-2000 09:29 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
zipzipzipzipzipzipzipzipzipzipzipzip! zip!

everyone's got wun!

Parsout - can macintoss users ever learn to leave a disk in IBM format?

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
hotreadytogo22
Sarge
Member # 2105

Rate Member

posted 10-24-2000 10:44 AM     Profile for hotreadytogo22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wht bother cd-r drives are cheap and hold 700 mb now
Broch
Sarge
Member # 370

Member Rated:

posted 10-24-2000 12:12 PM     Profile for Broch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those of us who have been using computers long enough to have more floppies around then CD roms (not counting those free 250 hours disk i get from AOL) would find this handy, especially being able to use existing floppies.

Besides, 9 times out of 10 when i burn CD roms for transport it is for files larger the 1.44 megs but way under 100 megs

Posts: 550 | From: Philly | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-25-2000 05:34 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing that still annoys the living daylights out of me is how winzip can't split the zip packages to more than one pieces...

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-25-2000 05:41 AM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I understand you correctly, Lindi, but you know that Zip can span archives over several disks, right?
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 10-25-2000 09:17 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I use pkzip for dos to do that... haven't been able to do it with Winzip.

------------------
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-25-2000 11:58 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I don't think that winzip can do disk spanning. At least I haven't seen it as an option before.
Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rivendell
Sarge
Member # 148

Member Rated:

posted 10-25-2000 12:17 PM     Profile for Rivendell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Winzip has been able to do that atleast since version 6.3
Posts: 1966 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Parsout
Sarge
Member # 1873

Member Rated:

posted 10-26-2000 08:02 AM     Profile for Parsout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG! u guys didn't know how to span???

OMG! i will post a tut! soon...

Parsout

Posts: 630 | From: Adelaide, SA, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com