next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Overclocking

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Overclocking
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 12:14 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is probably a really dumb question but does anyone know of a way around the multiplier lock on P3's. It's a serious hinderance. . . I just realized that I probably won't get a response because this question comes really close to hardware cracking.

------------------

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 12:24 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There probably is a way to remove the multiplier lock on P3's but it can't be easy. It probably involved messing around with the pins on a P3.

------------------

Ghost Face Killer

Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ski11z
Sarge
Member # 756

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 01:38 PM     Profile for Ski11z   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn.. got a new computer just a week ago and you're already o'cing it

the true spirit of a gamer.

Posts: 731 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 04:04 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best place to find an answer to that question is www.overclockers.com
Their forum is being moved right now though so it's down, but you may find some info in the guides on the main page.

Posts: 484 | From: Calgary, AB | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 04:04 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Currently there is no way of removing the multiplier lock as it is present as microcode on the chip. This must also correlate to code within the bios. If there is not code in the bios recognizing the multiplier set within the microcode the chip simply will not run or it will give you some pretty fuc*ked up reports.

Tom's Hardware would have the most in depth of anything overclocking. But as it stands right now there is no real way to bypass the multiplier lock.

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 04:14 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skillz: At least he waited a week, I oc'd mine the second day. ASUS made it too damn easy to resist on the CUBX. One little change in the bios and I had a PIII 650 @ 806MHz. Dropped it back to normal a few days later though due to being scared of the temps and not wanting to get too involved with add on coolers. I did add a couple extra case fans for around 30 bucks though for general purposes.
Acid: Lotsa good tips on that Asus on overclockers if they ever get their forum back up.

Snag
Sarge
Member # 992

Member Rated:

posted 08-03-2000 05:42 PM     Profile for Snag   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hehe, when I got my 300A it never even got installed at 300MHz...same day went out and bought some "cooling supplies" and set it at 450MHz and never looked back

quote:
I probably won't get a response because this question comes really close to hardware cracking.

WHAT? That is like GM or Ford or Dodge saying you can't put aftermarket equipment in your car or putting in a different differential or anything you want to...you pay for the chip, what you do with it from there is none of there f-ing business as long as you don't reverse engineer it for profiteering. I seriously find this POV disturbing because unlike software cracking or hacking, there is "PHYSICAL PROPERTY" involved aside from
"intellectual property"...and if this is not particularly the case, then what would you do if you were told you could not put a chrome valve cover under your hood because that is modifying intellectual property...I mean, the motor company does own the patent and design of that vehicle and now you are customizing it to your own liking or for your own benfit with no residule going back to the original manufacturer!! Physical property removes any and all claim the company has in regards to modification. If you screw up, you're fucked and they aren't gonna offer you any support until you buy another of their products...simple as that. And all you are is a consumer trying to get the most bang for your buck...if that is a crime, who are the real criminals then?

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 08-04-2000).]

Posts: 2606 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-04-2000 11:57 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys crack me up. . .

The reason I said that part about hardware cracking is because I REALLY want that lock removed, and I'm probably going to have to crack the CPU to do it. I could theoretically get it up to 1.3GHz without the lock. . . ~Though trails off and face takes on dreamy look~

BTW, thanks for all the info guys!

------------------

grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 08-06-2000 02:17 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey d00ds
my old man said i could put 2gether a new comp befo i head off to college
and i really wanna fast one kinda
would it be easy for me
if i gotta piii 733 to oclock it to a gig?
using that bios stuff on an asus mobo?
i mean,
if i got one of em cool heatsinks with 3 fans on it? to keep it cold
i mean the price diff from a 933 and a 733 is $660 u.s.
so i mean, that's a lotta money i could be saving.
any tips? advice? i've never o'c anything before except for my video card. i heard you could also oc the bus speed, but i have no idea how to do that either. my friends say they got there 133 bus thinger to 200 easily. i dunno
thanx
grumpski

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DeskJet
Sarge
Member # 980

Member Rated:

posted 08-06-2000 02:30 PM     Profile for DeskJet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Grumpy: Go to www.overclockers.com and click on the CPU database link and check out what other people have done with the 733. This is what it took one person to get it to 990 on an Abit BE6-2
"Using Voodoo3-PCI because of the AGP version doesn't work at this speed. Using special Watercooling with frozen Water CpuTemp stable at 15°. this Machine Kicks ass !!"

jondster
Sarge
Member # 109

Member Rated:

posted 08-07-2000 07:19 PM     Profile for jondster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A 700 or 750 (100 FSB) is going to be a better OCing candidate
Posts: 2128 | From: Cascade MI USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RagingBITCH
Sarge
Member # 68

Rate Member

posted 08-08-2000 11:58 PM     Profile for RagingBITCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What the old man said, 700 or 733 are better oc'ers

And P3s are multiplier locked...today's Intel overclocking is all about FSB, FSB, FSB. (Your RAM is a definite factor too)

Posts: 2628 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 08-09-2000 11:48 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's why I got's me PC133.

Hey that rhymnes(sp?)

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com