Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lab   » Can't get my mod to work!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't get my mod to work!
mikey
Visor
Member # 3071

Rate Member

posted 03-06-2004 10:24 PM     Profile for mikey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm trying to add a weapon and I can't get it to appear.

I created a model of a new weapon in Milkshape. I then unzipped pak3.pk3. I included my new model and re-zipped the pak file. I also added it to the end of bg_itemlist[] in bg_misc.c.

I've added the define for my weapon everyplace I can find, now I can't get it to appear.

Does anyone know how to change the default weapon that I get to the new one I inserted?

Posts: 1 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheKiller
Sarge
Member # 890

Member Rated:

posted 03-08-2004 02:37 AM     Profile for TheKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know you shouldn't be editing the default game pk3 files!

Try Planet Quake they know what they're doing there... they even have their own Mod forums!

--------------------

Talk is cheap, so is my signature.

Posts: 1723 | From: Gibsons, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 03-12-2004 02:11 AM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Hi hi hi... You don't have to edit any original Q3 material to make your gun work in-game. You don't have to open any of the original .pk3 files, you just add your own and it over-writes the originals.

If you've edited any of the original Q3 .pk3s then copy and paste them from your Q3 CD and over-write whatever you've changed, because you don't need to do that and it might cause problems.

Check out http://www.polycount.com/ and download one or two of the weapons from there. See what they have in their .pk3s (note you don't have to call them pak9.pk3, call them my-weapon.pk3 or something). Do everything they've done, follow the naming conventions and add only what they've added.

Follow those conventions and you should be fine.

If it still refuses to work then check out the Polycount forums at http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Ultimate.cgi and I'm sure those guys can get everything working for you

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-14-2004 02:10 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, to get it to work correctly, you have to actually replace a current weapon with your new one. If you don't, any map you load up won't have the spawn information for that new weapon. So it would be pretty useless.
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com