Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lab   » run the lenix version of quake on windows

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: run the lenix version of quake on windows
SpikerFourTwenty
Visor
Member # 2967

Rate Member

posted 05-11-2003 03:21 PM     Profile for SpikerFourTwenty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i bought the lenix version of quake 3 arena
at the dollar store the otherday it clearly said lenix version and under it was a sticker saying "included insturctions to run on windows os" so i bought the game, it didnt have these insturctions. so i took it back to the store to exchange it but they where sold out. does anyone know what i have to go to get the game to run on my pc.
i have a pentium 4 1.5ghz 512 ram and win me os. any help is apperciated thanks in advance

Posts: 1 | From: my house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 05-14-2003 12:44 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's strange, I never saw a Quake 3 linux version that could be run on a windows os. I do know that the other way around is working.. i.e. Running the Quake 3 windows version as a linux server.

Sorry I can't help.

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 06-24-2003 04:36 PM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Extract the files from the CD and make sure that the directoryies are where they are supposed to, most importantly baseq3 and the pk3 files.

Then using windows install the latest 1.32 patch, if all goes well you should be able to run the game using the windows binary extracted from the patch. I.e every file is the same regardless of version but the binaries.

At least that's what I've heard.

Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
Toon Wars
Visor
Member # 2995

posted 08-25-2003 12:27 PM     Profile for Toon Wars   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Microsoft undertook a project four years ago to figure out how to get Linux code to work in Windows. They did a few things to their OS to make it more like Linux and to create a translator. Still Microsoft did not learn about basic security of the OS and applications.
Linux has had an emulator for Windows for years. It is kind of like an OS2 window that can crash but not take down the entire computer.
The fact is that the two will work fine swapping software, but the two are not the same as far as stability and memory management.
One word of warning. Microsoft just realized that they need better memory management tactics in their compilers and OS. This means be cautious on what you port to where.
Toon

Posts: 3 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com