Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » Tech Center   » how?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how?
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 04-30-2002 06:51 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
how can i play quake 2 over the internet?????
Posts: 12 | From: calumet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 04-30-2002 07:01 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i mean..do i have to download some stuff or do i have to type in an i.p address in multiplayer..or what???
wolfien
Visor
Member # 2769

Member Rated:

posted 05-01-2002 09:45 AM     Profile for wolfien   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
one of the easiest way for you would be to get gamespy. ( www.gamespy.com ) get either the "arcade" or "3d" version. When you'll have installed it, you will see directly the game available to you. Try to pick the one with the lowest ping possible ( if on cable/dsl accs you should have some under 100ms, thats good).

hope it helped you

wolfien-

Posts: 5 | From: Longueuil Beach. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-01-2002 03:28 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have that now...but it says when i chose it, and the games starts that the "version is 3.2"
i don't know if i need to update my quake 2 files or if i did something wrong...one of my friends said to try mplayer at www.mplayer.com
accually i'm goin to try it right now...i'll let you know if it works

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 05-01-2002 03:34 PM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go here, click on the '.updates' link on the lower right hand side of the page. You'll find the 19 meg 3.20 patch for Q2. Download that and apply it to your installation. Now you can join 3.2 version servers.
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-02-2002 07:18 AM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you know what?....i went to download.com and searched for quake and i found the update and i got it. i had like version 3.15...or somthing multipayer works fine now.
thanks
monoxide

xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 05-02-2002 03:14 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The newest version is 3.20.

--------------------

Im not really here

Posts: 1051 | From: US | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-02-2002 05:13 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have it now....i got my a$$ kicked like 4000 times already since yesterday

thanks anyways

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 12:23 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's the spirit!!!! You have to shop to find a server where you'll play against some people who might be at your level.. but anyway playing against pro is also one of the best way to learn (and one of the hardest also).

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

Posts: 514 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lindi
Sarge
Member # 493

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 04:06 AM     Profile for Lindi   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's important to try to learn from the people owning j00. Sooner ( or later in my case) you will find that you are playing at their level.
Posts: 3036 | From: Turku, Finland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-03-2002 07:15 AM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
does anyone know a server where intermediate players go? i consider myself that because i had this game for a while now and i know all the buttons but i'm still getin my a$$ kicked by better people.
besides that. What is "j00" ?
and why at the end of a game everybody says "GG"?

20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 08:25 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good Game. Most consider it good quake-ettiquete (sp?) to say good game after a game, no matter who won or who lost.
20 20
Sarge
Member # 358

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 08:26 AM     Profile for 20 20   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And it's mostly just die-hard Q2 fans still playing that game, those are all usually pretty good, so I don't know if you'll find any/many 'intermediate' level servers.

Try Q3. Wait's for the q3 bashing to begin...

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 08:37 AM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
j00 means you... it's called l33t sp3ak or leet speak if you prefer... You actually replace all the letters in a word by number wich may have some same look or other letters. Beer in l33t would be b33r.

For medium player, servers, quake 2... I don't know too much. I've stopped playing Quake 2 a looooooooooooooooong time ago. But it was so fun.... My best one was LMCTF. With all the runes! Man! I miss those days... The other mod I really enjoy was Holy Wars... There would be a halo spawning in the map and whoever got it would be the only one making points while fragging.. all the other ones had to kill this "saint" to get the halo and frag so that you could get some points. It was everybody VS one person... They did an alpha version for Quake 3 also but stopped working on it to put more time on the mod for Half Life (traitors! )

Okay that was my nostalgic moment..

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: DGhost ]

--------------------

DGhost

"Everybody knows Rocket Launchers have proximity safety sensors that lockdown the firing mechanism to prevent point blank use, not my fault, stupid game."

xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 12:12 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just want to say that Quake 2 ownz me! Kudos to those that sill play.

edit ~ For 40, Q3 Sucks!

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: xanthan ]

--------------------

Im not really here

DGhost
Sarge
Member # 2704

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 01:54 PM     Profile for DGhost   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Old school! I loved Quake 2... but for me nothing beats Quake 3 Arena!

I must confess that I'm missing the online Quake 2 sometimes!

--------------------

DGhost

tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-03-2002 03:53 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys..if you have anymore info just let me know and it will most likly make me a b3113r p1ay3r
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-03-2002 03:54 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys..if you guys have anymore tips or tricks just let me know and it will most likly make me a b3113r p1ay3r
xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 05-03-2002 10:20 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Use the mouse and the WADS config, increase your sensitivity, and I like my fov set greater than the default 90, I like it around 110-120.

--------------------

Im not really here

tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-04-2002 04:25 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i don't know what you mean by WADS files or whatever..letme know
xanthan
Sarge
Member # 35

Member Rated:

posted 05-04-2002 07:06 PM     Profile for xanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WADS means Using W to move forward and S to move backwards. A and D move left and right, its generally considered one of the better first person shooter configs. So, you can use your left hand to move and your right one to aim.

--------------------

Im not really here

Redlemons
Sarge
Member # 70

posted 05-04-2002 07:29 PM     Profile for Redlemons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What xanthan said, but I use ESDF - E for forward, D for backwards, S and F to strafe left and right.

It just means you've got more keys in reach of your left hand. It's helpful in a game like Half-Life where you have to reload, use, use a flashlight, use alt-fire, etc. In Quake it's just generally more comfortable with your hands further apart.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Redlemons ]

Posts: 1711 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-05-2002 02:22 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i use the direction arrows up-forward, down- backwards, left/right- straft and the mouse to look, duck, jump and change weapons.....works great for me, it is easier to look around and aim to fire weapons that way, i prefer optical mouses over the regular ball mouse, this is all in my opinion.....
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-05-2002 02:27 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
next to my name there is a thing that says rate user or user rating....what is that all about and how could i get some marks beneath it like everyone else???
tmonoxidechild
Visor
Member # 2771

Rate Member

posted 05-05-2002 02:28 PM     Profile for tmonoxidechild   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it says member rated, and mine says rate member

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com