Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » So I'm sitting here earlier...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I'm sitting here earlier...
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 02-01-2015 06:37 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...reading a bit of Reddit when I stumbled across an article talking about the recent resurgence of ICQ, and how it's picking up millions of new users. That piqued my curiosity, so I decided to see if my ancient ICQ account was still out there and usable. A couple of password resets later, I was in.

Just as I opened it up, my 10 year old son walked in and asked what I was doing. I explained that ICQ was an old school messaging app that I quit using over 10 years ago, and that it was the "ancestor" of things like Facebook chat. As I was explaining this to him, I hit the link on their site to browse my old friends list.

69 names popped up on that list, most of whom belonged to old members here. About halfway down I spotted one that I thought my son would be interested in. I looked over at him and said, "Hey, this is my old friends list. You might like this." And I clicked on Raverboy.

My son, who may be one of the biggest Minecraft fans on the planet, stood there stunned with eyes as big as plates when Raver's profile opened and he saw the name Markus Persson pop up. A second later he took off across the house, screaming for his brother at the top of his lungs, "HE WASN'T LYING! HE WASN'T LYING! DAD REALLY DID KNOW NOTCH! DAD REALLY KNOWS THE GUY WHO MADE MINECRAFT!" For some reason, that made me laugh harder than I have for years.

tl;dr: Today I proved to my kid that I haven't been BS'ing him all these years about knowing Raver, and now he thinks I'm a god. Dad win!

[ 02-01-2015: Message edited by: Drako ]

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-03-2015 03:53 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My son Marcus, who more or less was named after Notch (if you recall my old post in 2006)is also a huge Minecraft fan. It's really amazing to see the worlds he has built. He runs it on a computer and has the lite version on his Kindle. He does not seem that impressed I knew him back when he was Raverboy. ;-)

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 02-04-2015 12:30 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Cac! My boys didn't seem terribly impressed either, which always seemed a bit funny to me. I've now learned that my kids decided (several years ago) that the whole "Raverboy" thing was just a fish story and that their dad didn't REALLY know Notch. They thought they were humoring me.

Unfortunately, I now have to keep tempering his expectations. I live a few hours north of Los Angeles, and my son came up to me yesterday and asked whether we could drive down and visit him at his new house in Beverly Hills. I had to explain that there's a huge difference between chatting with someone on a website or teamspeak during a gibfest, and showing up at their door unannounced. One is cool...the other legally qualifies as stalking in California

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2015 09:56 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, but back in the day we were all pretty close here and shared intimate details about our lives. I consider many of you friends. I don't recommend just showing up at his door (gate) but I actually tried reaching out to him to have a cup of coffee (fika) when I was in Sweden last year. I thought it would be fun. Anyway I found this graphic the other day. LOL

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 02-06-2015 04:55 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL oh man I remember laughing hysterical at the chef in that logo.
Posts: 1761 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com