Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » I am not a nerd...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am not a nerd...
Tea Bagger
Sarge
Member # 97

Member Rated:

posted 10-31-2014 11:54 AM     Profile for Tea Bagger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So forgive me for not knowing if something like this exists.

I would like a stand-alone storage device that can be used to wirelessly access and save data to by means of a laptop and multiple smart phones. And it can't cost a million bucks either, unless Raverfella wants to buy it for me. Does this exist?

Thank you.

Posts: 1320 | From: IP: Logged | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-04-2014 08:01 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why not just use a cloud service like DropBox? My wife and I share a DropBox plan (1TB of storage) and our two Macbooks sync everything to it (symlinks on Unix make this very easy, but there are options to "link" folders into DropBox on Windows too). If we ever want anything on our phones, the DropBox app is available.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 11-10-2014 07:45 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with RB but I can understand those that don't trust their data on someone else's cloud.

Check out QNap. They offer a wide range of devices that can be setup wirelessly (with a dongle). Also has apps that provide what you are looking for.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2014 02:33 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you haven't yet found one, I use a Western Digital My Passport wireless external drive at work as a backup device on my mobile workstation. You can plug into the USB3 port directly to use it as a standard external drive, connect to it by WiFi to use it as a network file server, or use apps on your mobile devices to move content back and forth or stream media off of it. The 1Tb version is under $200.

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
WillyTrombone
Sarge
Member # 27

Member Rated:

posted 12-19-2014 05:21 PM     Profile for WillyTrombone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I put together a Synology DS213J a few months ago with a couple of Deskstar 2TB drives RAID'ed inside. It was in response to a significant loss of data from a failed Spinpoint M8 that hadn't been backed up. Total cost was a little over 400 and I think it'll do everything that's desired above. They have bigger ones for more storage and/or redundancy, too. I limit access to clients on my LAN but it's fully capable of serving as your own private cloud storage, assuming your internet connection is fast and reliable and their OS doesn't have any glaring security flaws. FreeNAS might be an option, too, if you don't mind spending a little more time playing sysadmin.

--------------------

signature

Posts: 2844 | From: the edge of forever | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com