Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Howdy again... Just built a new system...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Howdy again... Just built a new system...
Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2014 10:30 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought I would post about the new system, as I was thinking about quake2.com and our attempts to build Celeron 300 systems, overclocked to 450Mhz.

The new box is a Haswell i7, 4770k with 16gb of DDR3 2400mhz ram, a 256 gig SSD, and four more 1TB SATA3 drives. I used an Antec Kuhler 620 water block and radiator, with twin push-pull fans. An easy overclock to 4Ghz, with the cpu dropping from 70c temps at 100% cpu usage with the stock Intel cooler, to 45c with the Antec. A GTX770 2GB Nvidia card rounds out the package.

Here's a screenie:

O

[ 03-12-2014: Message edited by: Oicu812 ]

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2014 10:42 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And for real world performance, it is averaging 80 fps in Battlefield 4, everything set to Ulra, and the highest AA they have.

Portal 2 set up for highest, and getting 400-600 fps.

Just insane. And a sh*tload of fun.

I'm using a Vizio LED LCD, 3D tv as the monitor, running 1920x1080 at 120hz. Smooth as buttah.

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-12-2014 10:45 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more item: the SSD reads at 500MB per second. The Sata3 drives at 70-75MB per second. I set up a 10GB ram drive, and was loading Portal 2 from there, and it reads at 9GB per second. Almost no load times when running games from the ram drive.

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Jonathan Harris
Sarge
Member # 3143

posted 03-13-2014 07:11 PM     Profile for Jonathan Harris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Before this recent news I had decided to make Xithera Wynthrystyn destroy the evil city of Miasma with a tsunami, but that was because I had been ticked off at the Miami news station for doing that little bit about a threat of such a thing, and how the Bahamas would be the shield that would take the blow should that happen.
Posts: 187 | From: Denver | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 03-26-2014 12:50 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Obviously, you need to setup a triple-head display to make the most of this rig.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2014 12:23 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looks sweet!

I haven't built a gaming rig since 2007, and it's still plenty fine for me since I barely ever play anymore. I've become a console (Xbox 360) gamer again.

Hopefully I'll be moving in to my new house in the fall and I'll finally get that computer out of my parents house (no where to put it in my apartment). Maybe I'll pick up on it again once that happens.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
grumpy
Sarge
Member # 1912

Member Rated:

posted 03-27-2014 06:56 PM     Profile for grumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i'm in the middle of building a system too
I have an i7 4770k
silverstone fanless CPU cooler
amd 7750 fanless gpu
seasonic fanless psu
gigabyte mobo

I'm waiting for my case to arrive from newegg.com
I ordered the xigmatek aquila, black.

does the RAM drive impact your boot times? and because it's ram, does it need to be something you need to set up after every boot? I was under the impression that RAM wiped itself out after every boot

--------------------

Posts: 1561 | From: girls! computers, drinking, partying | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 03-28-2014 04:33 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a killer rig. I'd hate to see what it would do to a power bill out here (in Hawaii.. electric prices can be ridiculous).

I have a Retina MacBook Pro and a PS4. Most PC games just don't enthrall me anymore (not that PS4 ones do either), and Windows 8 is just heinous.

For better or worse, I'll always be tuned into technology. You never want to be too far behind the curve.

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-29-2014 12:18 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The ram drive gets stored onto the SSD upon power down, so it takes a little bit to write it. When you boot, the contents of the RAM drive load up fairly quickly, and it stays "permanent". I did some speed tests, reading and writing to various drives and media. I will be posting the results in the thread here...

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-29-2014 12:23 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ramdrive:

3 Hard drives in a raid 0: http://s28.postimg.org/exotyercd/3_HDs_Raid_0_Speed.jpg

SSD:

Single Sata3 HD:

32GB Thumb Drive:

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Oicu812
Sarge
Member # 57

Member Rated:

posted 03-29-2014 12:25 PM     Profile for Oicu812   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ramdrive:

3 Hard drives in a raid 0:

SSD:

Single Sata3 HD:

32GB Thumb Drive:

O

--------------------

==============
vidi vici veni

Wintermute
Sarge
Member # 1307

posted 04-05-2014 08:48 AM     Profile for Wintermute   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a smokin' system...about the HDDs...Are you using both SATA3 rated cables and ports? The throughput seems a bit slow, at least for newer SATA3 drives. Have you checked the specs? They usually run closer to 150MB/s, especially with the newer models that have few platter (greater areal density). What model HDD do you have out of curiosity?

--------------------

Verdammt durch das Fleisch. Gerettet durch das Blut.

Posts: 519 | From: Qwghlm | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com