Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Sunday, November 30, 2008. Who's up for a game?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sunday, November 30, 2008. Who's up for a game?
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 10-08-2008 07:06 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For old times sake? I know that many of the oldtimers only look at this board a few times a year, so I'm giving LOTS of notice here. November 30 is the last day on what would be a 4 day Thanksgiving holiday weekend for most of us. For the moment, lets aim for 3PM PST / 6 PM EST.

Post here if you're interested. Send me a PM with your email addy if you want a reminder beforehand.

Also, what game? Q2 or Q3? (We could always go archaic and play GlQuakeWorld.) Mods? (QPong, Lithium, etc). Anyone interested in using a chat app like Ventrilo, or would you prefer to stick to oldschool text chatting?

I've tried to play a few times over the past several years but can't find a decent server anymore. Playing with you guys would be a blast. Hell, maybe we could make it an annual event

[ 10-08-2008: Message edited by: Drako ]

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 10-09-2008 12:23 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd like to know who has a 360 or PS3 as well. We could have a list of who has what system and what their user name on each system is.

But yeah, I'm down for Q2 or Q3. I'd have to download updates and stuff, but yeah, it'd be good.

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 10-09-2008 12:25 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also - http://www.warsow.net/?page=home
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 10-09-2008 08:22 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Put me down for tentative. My main box for gaming is running Vista Ultimate, which WoW runs fine on. I think I have Q3 running on it but not sure if Q2 will. I can test before then.

[ 10-09-2008: Message edited by: TeaBagger ]

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-09-2008 11:03 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Werd to that Acid.

I'm ByteCrawler on Xbox Live, hit me up!

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-10-2008 07:37 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm in !

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-12-2008 06:42 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, I'm totally in for either Q2 or Q3. We also have the option, if people are feeling it, to play http://quake2world.net. Just an option..

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 10-13-2008 04:02 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I vouch for Q2W, its awesome. Only way to play in this day of age.
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-14-2008 02:26 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After further consideration, I think I'd actually rather play stock Q2 with you guys, at least at first. Maybe if it becomes a somewhat regular thing again, we could try Q2W.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, GFK =)

--------------------

Jarlaxle
Sarge
Member # 11

Rate Member

posted 10-14-2008 09:15 PM     Profile for Jarlaxle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Count me in D, although a little later in the evening for me (5 PM Pacific).

Good ole Quake 2 would be great, Q2DM1, the Warehouse, etc...

--------------------

=[R]=Ian=

Posts: 1732 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2008 09:34 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll try to get us a password-secured Tastyspleen server for the day/evening. The servers are located in Texas, and I usually ping around 40ms from Boston. I'm friendly with the admin.. I'll post back with what I find.

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-15-2008 03:52 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So Quadz (the tastyspleen admin) is letting me run a private server for our game. I'll pick a port number and set a password for us the Saturday prior to the game, and post the info here. Some questions we need to vote on:

What mod? baseq2, lithium, etc..

What levels? q2dmX, ztn, maybe Retinal's maps?

Anything else? Weapons stay, etc?

By the way, the server will be running R1Q2. You may want to consider installing the R1Q2 client, as it's generally regarded as the best one out there (at least on Windows).

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-16-2008 07:43 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would like to do some GXMOD team games.

--------------------

I am.

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 10-16-2008 07:26 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh my god!

Q2 party!! Why did it have to be right around finals!!

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 10-16-2008 08:15 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you RB! I was planning on setting up my own server and just hosting on that, but I'll take a pro server anyday!

I really don't have any strong preferences when it comes to mods, but I do want to keep it kind of old school. I know that there has been a lot of new development over the past several years, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of time learning some new mods that change the gameplay. I personally lean towards Lithium just because everyone should know it (and honestly, I love the grapple). I wouldn't even be averse to a Threewave CTF match or three. But I don't want to run a mod that I'll be getting lost in or have to read instructions to set up new binds for. It will be tough enough just remembering the base levels after so many years

I always thought it was more fun with weapons stay off, but that slows down the pace of the game. Deathmatch. 25 frag limit. 15 minute time limit per map. Standard gravity and damage. Map voting on. Nocamp ON. Runes on.

What advantage does R1Q2 offer over the base Q2 install?

--------------------

HAMMER
Sarge
Member # 9

Rate Member

posted 10-17-2008 06:59 AM     Profile for HAMMER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll try to bring my rocket launcher. It's been a while since I RJ'ed off somebody.

--------------------

http://www.BobsPlanet.net

Posts: 804 | From: St.Louis MO, USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
HAMMER
Sarge
Member # 9

Rate Member

posted 10-17-2008 07:02 AM     Profile for HAMMER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally, I think we should play some UT3. Real funzy, and torrents abound

--------------------

HAMMER
Sarge
Member # 9

Rate Member

posted 10-17-2008 07:05 AM     Profile for HAMMER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Might not be a bad idea to throw up a TeamSpeak server too...

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2008 07:54 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Some of us Linux weirdos wouldn't be able to partake in UT3, but whatevs As long as the main event is an hour or two of Quake2, I'm happy.

Drako, R1Q2 fixes a lot of security holes and potential crashes in Quake2. It also offers an updated network protocol that saves some bandwidth. And lastly, it has some nice features like FSAA, Anisotropic filtering, support for custom resolutions, decoupled video and network frame rates that allow you to run at 300fps without flooding the server, and a scalable HUD. You'll be surprised how tiny Q2's HUD is on today's typical resolutions like 1280x1024, 1680x1050, etc.

I propose we do like an hour of vanilla baseq2, and then an hour of Lithium. I have a lot of fun with the hook as well, but it also feels impure on some of the original maps :>

We can also toggle weapons stay based on how many people are in. If only 4 of us show up, weapons stay is entirely optional. If we get 8 people on q2dm1, I'd vote for turning it on

--------------------

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-17-2008 09:56 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I say 4v4 GX weapons stay off !!

--------------------

I am.

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2008 01:16 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't think about the screen resolution thing. My new computer was just delivered yesterday (my first home machine in nearly a year...bought just to play this match) and I can't wait to see how everything looks on a big shiny 22" flat screen. I used to play at 800x600 on my old 15 incher, so the experience should be a bit different.

I did some poking around and also found that there's a high resolution graphics pack for Q2, and an Evolved mod to modernize some of the effects. Are you familiar with them? Are they worth wasting any time on?

[ 10-17-2008: Message edited by: Drako ]

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2008 01:38 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most of the really crazy Quake2 graphics mods (mine included) break compatibility with the original game, and they're also notoriously unstable (mine NOT included ).

I would recommend R1Q2 with his high-res texture pak, available here:

http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/index.php?topic=9497.0

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-17-2008 01:39 PM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
J0SH, I have to wager that a lot of us are really rusty, and never really got into the tdm scene to begin with. My vote is kinda leaning away from GX/Battlegrounds/OSP/OpenTDM just because I think we'll be drawing a pretty casual audience.

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2008 01:27 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acid:
Also - http://www.warsow.net/?page=home

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2008 09:06 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Warsow has a steep learning curve, and honestly it plays nothing like Quake2. I'm with Drako; let's stick to something we all know and love :>

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2008 09:08 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, by the way, I received my 216 core overclocked EVGA GeForce 260 GTX last night. The card weighs in at over 2lbs, and just barely fits into my case. I get about 800fps in Quake2World *with* per-pixel lighting enabled, about 2000fps with it off. I hope this is adequate for good old Quake2

--------------------

Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 10-18-2008 06:37 PM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoGuEBiTcH:
Warsow has a steep learning curve, and honestly it plays nothing like Quake2. I'm with Drako; let's stick to something we all know and love :>

It isn't too steep. Only reason I recommend it is because it is free and will run on anything. It also has a fairly decent player base last I checked (for a free game that is).

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 10-19-2008 06:51 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I should be able to do this, unless I'm driving back from New Jersey on that day.

And if anyone can get Q2 running on Vista, let me know, I haven't tried to install it yet but it could be a hassle. I have an old XP box laying around that I could use if I have to.

[ 10-19-2008: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 10-20-2008 01:53 PM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It should work, x - a friend of mine says he has it going on the vista.

i dont think i've ever installed q2 before...usually just copy the whole folder over...

--------------------

I am.

mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 10-20-2008 05:55 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sweet, thanks Josh.
Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 10-21-2008 11:17 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I *think* you'll be fine with the following:

pak0.pak from the CD
3.20 patch from id Software (includes deathmatch maps)
Latest R1Q2 release (executable and shared libraries)

--------------------

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 11-03-2008 08:08 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bumpity bump bump. Gotta keep this visible for those not logged in.

--------------------

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 11-03-2008 10:44 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SHIT SHIT SHIT

I won't be able to do it. Fuck. I'll be busy writing a paper for Quantum Phys 2, and studying for exams. . . A Paper. . . in a physics course!! Honestly!!

GOD DAMNIT!!!!

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Acid
Sarge
Member # 758

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2008 11:48 AM     Profile for Acid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh shit, I didn't even realize it was this close. I'm very good. I have all Sundays off at my job. Excellent!
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 11-06-2008 03:35 PM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's like more than 3 weeks away.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-08-2008 09:25 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
lulz, right? Write the fucking paper early, slacker.

--------------------

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 11-30-2008 11:10 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bump.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com