Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Good Server Back-up Software

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Server Back-up Software
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-06-2006 11:10 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright guys. I've had my experiences with Symantec Backup Exec (formally Veritas) and its too complicated and bloted for my business' needs. We're using Acronis True Image Enterprise Server, which isn't bad. However, the support and update process is pretty shitty (you need to uninstall/reinstall to update it, their site doesn't provide patches to pirated users, blah blah ).

Any recommendations from anyone? Looking for something not too compliated. Possibly full drive-image support (backing up the C drive on a DC incase the Domain crashes). Backing up a live Exchange Store. Backing up a live SQL Database. (All this support in Symantec's package is rapidly approaching $2000) Any help is always appreciated, thanks guys.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 03:04 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ghost?

Wish I could offer something better. We have a backup solution here that fufills all of your requirement. It's called Veritas. Since that won't work...

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
god
Sarge
Member # 52

Member Rated:

posted 09-07-2006 08:28 PM     Profile for god   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've used novabackup at two different organizations. It was a very simple interface but also had alot of interesting features. Give the trial a try and see what you think
Posts: 260 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 09-08-2006 10:01 AM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks god, I will give it a try.

Oh, and good seeing you.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 09-30-2006 12:23 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a DBA, I'm going to suggest not attempting to backup the SQL Server database files directly. When it comes time to restore, you're likely to find the database is not in a consistent state and cannot be opened.

What you'll want to do is to fire up the SQL Server enterprise manager and create a maintenance plan that includes a complete backup of the database to the filesystem on a daily basis. I'd also create a seperate maintenance plan for log backups once hourly at a minimum. If the DB isn't super busy (ie, you can spare the disk i/o), I'd run the tlog backup every 15 mins. See here for more info on SQL Server maintenance plan backups.

Of course, if by SQL you meant MySQL, then you can execute a mysqldump command for a full backup, and then run hourly (or 15-minute-ly) mysqlbinlog log dumps, assuming you're running the db in binary logging mode. Good info on MySQL backups here.

At any rate, the point is, don't just backup the database files and expect to be able to recover successfully. DBs are very sensitive to consistency, and will not open if they're not consistent when they're brought online.

Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Serengeti
Sarge
Member # 51

Rate Member

posted 09-30-2006 12:25 AM     Profile for Serengeti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and the note about consistency, as I understand, applies to Exchange as well. I don't have any experience backing up Exchange, but I wouldn't count on just backing up the raw files.
Posts: 1045 | From: your grocer's freezer | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 09-30-2006 10:12 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I use Veritas Backup Exec 9 at work and yes with all the added agents it is pricey.

I use the method Serengeti suggests for SQL databases since I don't have the agent to do that live.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com