Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » *UCKING color laser printers!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *UCKING color laser printers!!!
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 01:53 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read some reviews on the web before I bought my OKI C7300 Color Laser printer.

Many of the reviews said it was the most cost effective printer on the market.

After only 1304 color copies I'm already out of Cyan and Black toner.

Black cost $90 and Cyan is a whopping $150

This would not be as bad as it seems if the toner was the only thing that needed to be replaced, but you also have to replace other parts on a regular basis. Real regular like every month or two $600 in parts :-(

50 Cents a copy at Staples does not seem as expensive as it did a few weeks ago...

Any of you network guys know of a better color printer under $2000.00 that can print 5000 color copies a month without so much maintenence?

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 05-17-2005 02:25 PM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
check the driver settings, maybe you can skimp on the toner amounts a bit?

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 03:55 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a serious suggestion. Those cheap color laser printers aren't meant to handle the kinds of volumes you're printing. They're meant for the home office or casual business user who prints maybe a few hundred copies a month.

My serious suggestion is to look into purchasing a refurbished color laser copier from a regional dealer. Copiers are designed to be used more than printers, and you can easily pick up a color unit capable of running off well over 10,000 pages a month for less than $2000. Most color laser copiers nowadays also have optional network printing components that will allow you to connect them to a PC network for direct printing.

You should also look into leasing a unit. A lot of dealers offer very attractive lease rates that may make more economic sense than buying a unit. My office has a Canon color copier that cost about $10,000 new. We leased it refurbished for $110 a month plus copies, which adds up to about $150 a month in total expenses. That may sound like a lot, but keep in mind that for our $150 a month we get 12x6 onsite service, free toner replacement, and free regular maintenance. The only thing we supply is the paper. With our network add-on, everyone in our office (about 30 people) has the ability to print color copies. With a capacity of over 100k copies a month, the number of color prints we run off is only limited by our budget.

I have no suggestions if you want to stick with the color laser printer idea. I've had diesubs before, but never a color laser printer.

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 04:12 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a color HP Laserjet 3500 in my office that I had ordered a while ago. Although it isn't one of our workhorse printers, it has seen its share of printing since being installed last summer.

Still haven't replaced the toner or done any maintenance to it. Although yes, the toner is almost out, it saw a decent printer rate throughout the year.

It may not be the solution you're looking for, but the price/efficiency ratio is good in my eyes. I think I had purchased it for $1400 if I'm not mistaken.

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 05:10 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drako said "My serious suggestion is to look into purchasing a refurbished color laser copier from a regional dealer"

And that is what I did. The OKI C7300 can pump out over 100,000 prints a month so the company states. It was around $2000 new. I bought a refurb for $1200.00 It's HUGE and weighs in at close to 100 lbs.

To refill the 4 toners it cost about $550.00

I went through them in under 2000 color copies.

I found a bargain on Ebay and I now refill my own cartridges for $230.00 rather than $550 but they supposedly can only be refilled twice before you need to purchase a new toner cartridge.

Key features of the C7300/C7500n CCS include:

Out-of-box, color printing, copying, and scan-to-PC capabilities
Copying and printing at up to 20 cpm in full color and up to 24 cpm in monochrome
600 x 600 dpi scan resolution; up to 1200 x 1200 dpi print resolution
Large, easy-to-read LCD graphic display
Scan-to-PC feature enables creation of electronic files from a hard copy original (TWAIN drivers included - for Windows environments only)
Increased productivity features - automatic selection of paper trays, duplex printing support, finisher support (if connected to C9300/C9500)
Standard 25-sheet Automatic Document Feeder
Produce 1 to 99 copies from a single original
10 pre-set copy scaling keys for one-touch operation
Reduce and enlarge originals with zoom range from 25o 400n 1ncrements
630-sheet paper capacity standard, expandable to 1,690 sheets with options
OKI Job Accounting software standard to track print and copy usage (Network card required to use Job Accounting functions)
The outstanding productivity & reliability features of these new Color Copy Systems are a result of the OKI Single Pass Colorâ technology. This technology allows business users to meet the productivity demands required to remain competitive in today's marketplace without having to sacrifice speed, functionality or reliability.

The OKI C7300/C7500n and the C9300/C9500dxn Color Copier Systems provide today's businesses a cost effective option to outsourcing color print and copy applications. High capacity OKI toner cartridges and long-life image drums minimize on-going operating costs. Full color copies can now be generated in-house, for thousands of dollars less than using a dedicated color copier or Pay-for-Print service.

Specifications and Features

The OKI C7300/C7500n and the C9300/C9500dxn Color Copier Systems are configured to meet a variety of color printing needs for quality output, ranging from 600 x 1200 dots per inch (dpi) resolution to 1200 x 1200 dpi for high-quality graphics. Copier capabilities allow for a zoom range from 25 percent - 400 percent in 1 percent increments, producing up to 99 high-quality color copies with clear pictures and sharp text from one original. The C7500n, C9300n and C9500dxn also come with a 6200e+ Internal Ethernet Print Sever for shared printing environments.

In addition, the OKI C7300/C7500n Color Copier systems offer a 25-page Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) while the C9300n/C9500dxn systems offer a 50 sheet ADF for various media sizes. The C7300/C7500n CCS can hold up to 630 sheets of paper - up to 8 ½" x 14" - and is expandable to 1,690 sheets with options. The C9300n/C9500dxn CCS has a standard 650 sheet paper capacity standard expandable to 2,850 sheets with options for all wide format 11" x 17" printing. Copies can be made on 110-lb. index stock. Both Color Copy Systems come standard with printer cabinet, copier stand and all required cables for simple installation and set-up.

Target Markets

In addition to general office environments, the C7000 A4 CCS and C9000 A3 CCS features and functionality are targeted at a wide variety of vertical markets including real estate, grocery, retail/mass merchants, education, graphic arts, advertising, funeral homes, churches and non-profit organizations. Applications can include printing/copying of MLS listings, business cards, in-store signage, direct mail pieces, postcards, marketing collateral, comps, pre-proofs, event flyers, banners, 3-dimensional objects, prayer and mass cards, church bulletins and many more.

Pricing
Description List Price

C7300 Letter/Legal (A4) Color Copier System $6,599
C7500n Letter/Legal (A4) Color Copier System $8,499
C9300n Wide-format (A3) Color Copier System $11,599
C9500dxn Wide-Format (A3) Color Copier System $13,199

AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 11:01 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2x, heh. . . Drako. . . heh

We fix that shit at my work. Everything from grandma's 10yr old inkjet, to top of the line state of the art photocopiers.

I have only this to say.

First off, laserprinters and photocopiers are similarily designed.

2x, you went to highend I think. You probably could have done as well with something that is the same price new. It sounds like what you paid for is something designed for large offices where the cost of regular maintence vs workload is relatively low.

Believe it or not, your workload is nothing. If that machine is designed to put out "100,000" prints a month, you're underusing it. It's also possible that whoever sold it to you didn't give you full toner cartridges. I say get rid of it and get a smaller Xerox Document Center or something, they're networkable, and the Xerox leasing agreements are pretty good. Apparently the cost savings on the metered plan might be worth looking into. On a side note, when they say 100,000 pages, that's probably based on %5 page coverage vs average toner cartridge volume.

On the other hand, pop the toner cartridges and give them a quick shake, sometimes that helps. It's also possible that the cartridges are refurbished as well, and sometimes when that happens the toner level sensor stops functioning. If you can still print black and cyan, keep going till it's out.

Without even looking I'm guessing that the extra maintenance is feed wheel, seperator pads and drum units. Well, most drum units need replacement after 20,000 pages and that's standard for pretty much ANY laserprinter OR copier. Some are more, some are less, but generally in that range.

The wallet denting one (oh yes, it gets worse) is when the fuzer goes, and they go, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100,000-200,000 pages, at least one some models, like the venerable HP Laserjet 4 series (13yrs old and still the best workhorse out there imo). Anyway, the wallet dent comes from having to replace the transfer belt generally at the same time.

Believe it or not, for your workload volumes, it's still cheaper than inkjet.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-18-2005 06:35 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know, I just like to bitch.

I believed their ad which said I could do color prints for 10 cents each. It blew my mind when after only 1300 prints I had used up 2 of the toner cartridges. I had hoped to get 5000-10,000 out of each set of toner cartridges.

When I bought it I had no idea that the image drums also had to be replaced quite often.

I think My actual cost is closer to 35-40 cents per print.

Granted these are full color with close to 50% coverage. Not quite photo quality but pretty damn good. I guess you get what you pay for.

You say that I should go with a smaller printer? Then I'd run out of toner even faster and it's a real mess to change. Toner gets EVERYWHERE. As it is I do my printing one or two days a week. Usually 1000 prints a day. That means I have to change toner every day. With a smaller printer I'd have to change it even more. F That!!!

I'm paying out about $1400 a month to print my flyers and another $1500 to mail them.

Pretty damn spensive if you ask me..... But if they sell just one house they have paid for themselves.

The cost of a $1200 printer that shipped with full toner is really only about $700 for the printer itself. The toner in it was worth $500.00 (Yes it shipped full, I checked)

J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 05-18-2005 07:13 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd probably just pay a professional printer for that cost.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-19-2005 01:21 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you know how big a Xerox WorkCentre (I mistakenly named them DocumentCentres is?

I'm not talking about a small little laser printer. I'm talking about a small to mid-sized colour photocopier, with network printing support.

Something like this. . . http://www.office.xerox.com/perl-bin/product.pl?product=WCM24
And lease it.

[ 05-19-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

[ 05-19-2005: Message edited by: AcidWarp ]

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-19-2005 09:58 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Toner Cartridges

Part #
Description
Price

006R01153
Black Toner Cartridge
$142.00

006R01154
Cyan Toner Cartridge
$190.00

006R01155
Magenta Toner Cartridge
$190.00

006R01156
Yellow Toner Cartridge
$190.00

Hmmm, Toner is just about the same price.....

Specs are similar

Specifications Summary

Capabilities
Standard: Print, Copy, Scan

Optional:
- Internet Fax: *SMTP, MIME Format, TIFF-FX Format
- Direct Fax (LAN Fax): *Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000/ME/XP

Technology
Marking Engine: Color Laser

Memory: 768 MB standard, 10 GB hard disk drive

PDLs: PCL6 and PCL5e emulations, optional Adobe® PostScript® 3™

Print Controller: PowerPC 750 400 MHz

Print Resolution:
- Copy: 600 x 600 dpi, 256 levels of gray
- Print: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Scan: Four resolution selections: 600 x 600, 400 x 400, 300 x 300 and 200 x 200

Performance
Duty cycle: 80,000 images per month

First Copy Out Time: 4.7 seconds black and white / 10.4 seconds color

Rated speed: 24 ppm black and white / 13 ppm color

Paper Handling
Maximum paper capacity with options: 3,140 sheets

Paper sources: 2 standard including bypass tray

Standard paper capacity: 620 sheets

Standard two-sided copying/printing

Input, Output, Finishing
Optional Duplex Automatic Document Feeder: 50 sheets

Offsetting Center Tray: 400 sheets

Optional Finisher: Staples up to 50 sheets; 1,000 sheets output capacity

Security
Electronic Auditron and Member Printing

Supplies
Four Toner Cartridges: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black
Drum Cartridge: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black
Fuser Module
Waste Toner Container
Staples Refill for finisher and convenience staple options

But they never want to quote how many prints per drum or cost per page......

So why would this one be a better deal than what I have now?

I'm good with the quality of my current prints, just pissed that it cost so much...

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-19-2005 10:04 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok Josh, so you would pay an additional $1000 a month to have them professionally printed? And wait a minimum of a few days to a week to have them do it?

I'd rather save the extra $12K and put a down payment on another rental house!

I'm not sure about the metered plan from Xerox. How does that work? I can't see it costing less than just buying a refurb like I did, but I'm open to anything that will save me money.

FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 05-19-2005 10:12 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
don't EVER buy Xerox. Ever.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com