Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Introducing my kids to the oldies....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Introducing my kids to the oldies....
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-16-2005 09:50 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I could slap my kids. Beat them senseless even.

A week ago I decided that it would be cool to introduce my kids (who at 10 and 7 are avid gamers) to "classic" video gaming...to show them their roots if you will. I climbed into my closet, dug out my old dusty box, and fired up my three oldest gaming friends...my Sega Genesis, my Intellivision, and my Atari 2600. My kids, who consider an N64 to be "old sk00l", were fascinated as I pulled out the old hardware and carefully unloaded my ancient duffel bag with 127 of the grooviest games to come out of the 80's carefully tucked inside. They were blown away by the basics of the machines, the odd looking controllers, and the cartridges sporting names of publishers they'd never heard of. Eagerly they cried, "Turn it on daddy!" So I did. And then my heart fell.

"This is lame."
"Only four colors? How Dumb."
"My old fashioned Gameboy has better sound!"
"What do you mean only two people can play?"
"Where's the pause button?"
"The Intellivision doesn't have an off button? How stupid!"
"How come PacMan looks like a block? That's stupid!"
"Why doesn't Donkey Kong come DOWN the ladder and kick Marios butt? How stupid!"
"I thought you said BarnStorm was fun! I'd rather pick my nose. This is stupid."
"Pong? This is like air hockey for stupid people."
"Tron Deadly Disks? More like Tron Dumb Disks!" (OK, so I agreed with that one).
"Hey! Centipede is like a cool game without the cool part!"
"You actally PAID for Asteroids? You could write this game in, like, 10 minutes!"
"Missile Command has to be the dumbest game in human history."
"I take that back. Adventure is dumber."

Damn smartass whippersnappers. I should lock their Gamecube in the attic for a month for being so insolent. Gah!

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
mynameisxanthan
Sarge
Member # 3045

Rate Member

posted 05-16-2005 10:29 PM     Profile for mynameisxanthan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember when my dad brought out his old Intellivision and we played Baseball and Poker on it. I thought it was aweosme as hell.

Your kids have no appreciation

[ 05-16-2005: Message edited by: mynameisxanthan ]

Posts: 1148 | From: in your pants | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
crash
Sarge
Member # 3015

Rate Member

posted 05-16-2005 10:54 PM     Profile for crash   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LMAO - those are great quotes from a seven and 10 year old! Hard to choose a favourite, there are lots of classics there. These literally made me laugh out loud, probably because I'm old enough to remember when these games were cool:

1. "Pong? This is like air hockey for stupid people."
2. "Hey! Centipede is like a cool game without the cool part!"
3. "Missile Command has to be the dumbest game in human history....I take that back. Adventure is dumber."

--------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Victoria | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-16-2005 11:01 PM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that pong comment is FUNNY. lol. Awe man, I still love some Nintendo games, like Bionic Commando.

Heh, I remember some of those atari games you mention Drak. Good stuff.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
FS
Sarge
Member # 3053

Rate Member

posted 05-17-2005 03:47 AM     Profile for FS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMG Bionic Commando sucked so hard!

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by FS:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with FS on this one

Posts: 649 | From: Finland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
J0SH
Sarge
Member # 103

Rate Member

posted 05-17-2005 09:14 AM     Profile for J0SH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No way man, Bionic Commando rules. I have an old VCR tape of me and my dad beating the game.

--------------------

I am.

Posts: 1591 | From: buffalo new york | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 09:39 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL @ #2

2. "Hey! Centipede is like a cool game without the cool part!"

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cacophonous
Sarge
Member # 19

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 10:25 AM     Profile for Cacophonous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This last week's episode of King of the Hill had Hank's wife showing Bobby, pong. They were deadlocked for so long Bobby finally fell asleep (drooling) finally missing the blip with his paddle.

--------------------

Posts: 5571 | From: Yes | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 12:38 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dude, you gotta go scrunge up an NES, show em real history! lol
Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 12:50 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first game "console" we had, I don't even know if it had a name. Just a red box with two twist paddles. You could play tennis, squash (1 or 2 player) and football (soccer). I think that was it. I'll have to ask my Dad if he still has it. That thing must have been from the late 70's. Wow!

--------------------

Miss you guys.

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 03:35 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My NES completely died and went into the trash over a decade ago, and I don't feel like spending the fifty or so bucks that all of the Ebayers seem to want for a complete system. Still, I wonder how my kids would react to Duck Hunt...

--------------------

Posts: 931 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
GFKiller
The Man
Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 04:17 PM     Profile for GFKiller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I suggest you pick-up a Nintendo Revolution when it comes out next year...

I just read an article that part of their on-line service will offer free downloads to vintage Nintendo games (including all NES, all SNES, and all N64). That's pretty fuckin kick ass in itself. Combined with the fact it'll play my GameCube games, Nintendo has once again held on to this fan!

Here's the article on Yahoo (this is the grouped article, there are seperate articles about the Revolution and Game Boy Micro on Yahoo's site):
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050517/latu041.html

[ 05-17-2005: Message edited by: GFKiller ]

Posts: 1762 | From: Staten Island, NY | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com