Click Here

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  :[ Q3Arena.com Message Board ]:   » The Lounge   » Microsoft access database question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microsoft access database question
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-16-2005 05:34 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've created a simple database to log customer info. I have a few combo boxes for frequently used items.

When I try to create a "Page" web page for data entry, the comb box properties are not transfering to the web page.

Any suggestions? I've got my "Access handbook" and searched the web but I'm drawing a blank. :-(

Posts: 1824 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-16-2005 09:26 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
2X~ What's your webserver run? What are your connectivity options?

As a general rule, the data access pages autogenerated by Access suck sick hairy goat balls. They tend to be buggy, slow, and browser dependent. There are plenty of other ways to do it, but which one you use depends on your server OS and how much control you have over it.

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
AcidWarp
Sarge
Member # 997

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 02:05 AM     Profile for AcidWarp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drako:
As a general rule, the data access pages autogenerated by Access suck sick hairy goat balls.

I could say the same thing about serverside configuration for Exchange. . .

That being said I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I'm just here for comic relief. Meesa just glad mya voice not high and squeeky like tha Jar Jar Binkses.

--------------------

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.”

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”

--Dr. Stephen Hawking.

Posts: 4363 | From: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 02:43 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
www.building-zone.com/realdata.mdb

This is the database I created.

My server has mysql installed but I don't know much about mysql. It took me 5 or 6 hours just to figure out basic Access.

I'd like to be able to have the database connected to the website so that:
#1. People who fill out forms on the site have their info go straight to the database so I do not have to manually enter info after I recieve it in the mail. (Which is how I have my forms set up now)

I also need some type of user interface for the database to generate mailing lists and e-mail lists to go to the selected recipiants as well as sort and graph data.

The above access database would be nice to have on the internet because I work from three different locations on 4 different computers. It makes it much more convienient than burning disks everyday or e-mailing info to myself. We also have a cute young office wench who enters data for us and I would like to put in simple protection so she could not accidentally delete the whole thing.

Any takers??? I'm happy to pay for your services. I should do it myself but it means I'll have to go off and buy an SQL book and actually read it and then spend a week screwing up before I get something that works marginally. I would not mind doing this if I were not already working 16 hours a day on other things.

At the moment the site is generating five or six inquiries a day multiply that by a month and you get 150, multiply it by a year and you get 1800, add a few more years and this database could hit 5000 entries pretty quickly.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 02:47 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SELECT
[ALL | DISTINCT | DISTINCTROW ]
[HIGH_PRIORITY]
[STRAIGHT_JOIN]
[SQL_SMALL_RESULT] [SQL_BIG_RESULT] [SQL_BUFFER_RESULT]
[SQL_CACHE | SQL_NO_CACHE] [SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS]
select_expr, ...
[INTO OUTFILE 'file_name' export_options
| INTO DUMPFILE 'file_name']
[FROM table_references
[WHERE where_definition]
[GROUP BY {col_name | expr | position}
[ASC | DESC], ... [WITH ROLLUP]]
[HAVING where_definition]
[ORDER BY {col_name | expr | position}
[ASC | DESC] , ...]
[LIMIT {[offset,] row_count | row_count OFFSET offset}]
[PROCEDURE procedure_name(argument_list)]
[FOR UPDATE | LOCK IN SHARE MODE]]

HUh?????? This may take a bit longer than a week, it may take me a year...

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 02:48 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I need a point and click GUI or I will never be able to do this on my own
doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 03:10 AM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Error

SQL-query :

CREATE TABLE `contacts` (

`Time` VARCHAR NOT NULL ,
`firstname` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`last name` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`address` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`city` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`state` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`zip` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`home phone` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`Cell Phone` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`email address` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`home type` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`price` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`referred by` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`contact date` TEXT NOT NULL ,
`comments` LONGTEXT NOT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( `Time` )
)

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NOT NULL, `firstname` TEXT NOT NULL, `last name` TEXT NOT NULL,
Back

RoGuEBiTcH
Sarge
Member # 66

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 10:00 AM     Profile for RoGuEBiTcH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's with the backticks (`)? Get rid of them. The varchar type declaration requires a length parameter, e.g. varchar(20). Field names can not contain spaces, e.g. referenced_by, not referenced by. Why the hell would you primary key the time? You probably want a datetime type for that field, anyway. The text field type is for large (1024 character+) clobs, it can not be indexed, and is slow to search. My guess is you want something more like this:

create table contact(
id int not null primary key auto_increment,
name varchar(50) not null,
email varchar(50) not null,
street varchar(50),
city varchar(20),
state varchar(2),
zip varchar(5),
day_phone varchar(12),
cell_phone varchar(12),
home_type int,
price decimal(10,2),
notes text,
reference varchar(50),
created datetime not null
);

I'd suggest you just take the time to learn this stuff for real, or go hire a professional. You're not going to be pleased with your results if you blindly hack your way through this on a need-to-know basis.

--------------------

http://quake2world.net

Posts: 3123 | From: Naples, FL | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 12:53 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For some reason PhPMyAdmin puts in the backticks. I would stay well clear of MS Access and go with MySQL.

I've been working with DBs for, like, 15 years. If you have any [more] questions you can post them here or mail them to me. I assume this is related to that little PHP thing we did a few weeks ago?

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 01:45 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You will all be proud of me. I bought a mysql book today and will read it over the next few days. Then I will start hacking away. Probably pretty badly at first but sooner or later I always manage to learn enough to make things work. I don't always understand them but as I said I should be able to make something that functions.

:-)

Drako
Sarge
Member # 39

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 04:08 PM     Profile for Drako   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry about the hit and run post...life called.

I'm glad to see you're exploring the mysql option because it is FAR superior to using Access. Performing a DSNless connection between PHP and an Access database on a Linux/Apache environment wouldn't have been impossible, but it would have been a huge PITA.

--------------------

Posts: 928 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mad Max
Sarge
Member # 622

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 09:14 PM     Profile for Mad Max   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry you wasted your money on the book. Seriously, www.mysql.org has all the docs you might ever need from a reference point of view.

--------------------

Miss you guys.

doublefresh
Sarge
Member # 26

Member Rated:

posted 05-17-2005 10:09 PM     Profile for doublefresh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But they are written by people who think you know what they are talking about. I prefer books because I can pick an author who speaks down to me like a child. Now 2X, this is called a "text" field. In it we put text... Stuff like that.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Q3Arena.Com